Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, so "hi" and all that... but straight to business.

I'm looking at a super-clean, bone-stock (2500 miles) '05 SS 800, which is listed at $5999. Trying to figure out if this is a good deal, or too good to be true. Sounds a little low for a dealer if you ask me. I trust the dealer, I've bought 2 bikes from them already, an '07 Monster S2R800 and an '05 MV Agusta Brutale 750. I traded the Duc for the MV because it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I do miss the L-twin thump, and the styling was beautiful, but the suspension was too soft, and (whether it sounds normal or not) by the first 700 miles, it would no longer pull 60mph, even in 4th gear, it also stalled out on me a couple times at stoplights for no reason, etc. I also wasn't all that impressed by the flimsy attachment of the fly-screen and front fender.

I'm interested in Ducati again because, well, you just kinda fall in love with them, despite any faults. Now, I'm looking at the SS as a potential commuter bike, and a light-duty sport tourer. I'm too protective of my MV to leave it anywhere in public where I can't see it. You may not understand, but it's just how I am. I know that's probably a sacrilegious concept in a Duc forum, but bear with me.

Now I'd like to hear some owner-reports on the SS. Was my engine trouble just the result of poor tuning, as it took place just before the initial tune up, or was there something worse going on? I find it hard to believe that the 800 would have any problem with 60mph under normal circumstances. Also, how does the suspension set up compare to a monster? I would imagine that it's a little stiffer, being a more sport-oriented bike. What are the maintenance intervals, and about how much money do you put into them? What are the common failures? Basically, would this make a good, reliable commuter or should I look to the more reliable, if less tasteful japanese manufacturers?

Thanks in advance everyone, and I appreciate any responses.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the 800cc engine is quite nice, the monster should
run +125 miles per hour with it.
ducatis are great once proper tuned, the service
costs are reasonable, if you can do some of the work
yourself, like oil and filter and hydraulic fluid changes
in example.

there are no common failures, get a used SS 900
for cheap and forget about any worries, it will be
the bike you are searching for.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
That 800SS is a great looking bike. Time tested and there's nothing like the sound of the two valve motors. I'd bet that they'll put on a new set of belts for you no charge. Bike may be at the price point where depreciation is levelling out. If that's the bike in Portland, you are dealing with straight shooters.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's the one I'm looking at. They've always been very easy to deal with. Now I just need to see if they'll give me anything reasonable for my trade in (my 2nd car). Not a good market to sell right now, so it's less hassle to just trade it, if the price is right. I'm pretty sure they do that, they're owned by Ron Tonkin.

It is a really clean looking bike, I was suprised to see it's mod-free and with such low miles, the price is reasonable. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Any comments about the suspension? I remember the Monster being a bit spongy.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
The miles are LOW. Inquire about a belt change if those are original. Ask about the tank venting issue that some of these bikes had that would make the tank implode. Then if you're satisfied with the answers to those questions, offer him 5k and see what happens.

Oh yeah, non adjustable front forks on these. With a full tank of gas they feel a tad heavy. But, they have adequate power for the twisty roads, which is most important. Commuting? I do on my 05 800ss about 2 or 3 times a week. 11 miles. Sucks going to work, but fun as hell going home which is about 47 miles.

;)

So, if ya like it, get it.

·
8,971 Posts
Sorry.....uh, suspension. I'm 6' and 165. Very stiff suspension. You've got to learn to adapt. It's choppy, but still sticks like hell. Fun damn bike if you're just out mountain road riding or doing some fairly zippy track days.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds perfect. My other bike is a Gixxer 600, and the Brutale puts that to shame for tooth-rattling ability (you'd be amazed). It can't possibly be stiffer than the MV, which is a little harsh for the day to day, but I like the direct feedback. I never could get comfortable with the Monster. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.

Just remembered... does the ss have the APTC slipper clutch they used in the S2R? I thought that was a newer thing (I'm hoping). The lever pull always felt too light for me, the throw was too short, and the whole assembly was a bit counter-intuitive to engine braking. Dry clutch rattle adds to the character anyway.

I gather the engine is in most respects the same as the monster I had, correct? Were there any major design changes from '05 to '07?

·
8,971 Posts
Sounds perfect. My other bike is a Gixxer 600, and the Brutale puts that to shame for tooth-rattling ability (you'd be amazed). It can't possibly be stiffer than the MV, which is a little harsh for the day to day, but I like the direct feedback. I never could get comfortable with the Monster. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.

Just remembered... does the ss have the APTC slipper clutch they used in the S2R? I thought that was a newer thing (I'm hoping). The lever pull always felt too light for me, the throw was too short, and the whole assembly was a bit counter-intuitive to engine braking. Dry clutch rattle adds to the character anyway.

I gather the engine is in most respects the same as the monster I had, correct? Were there any major design changes from '05 to '07?
It has a wet clutch. The pull is long and somewhat stiff. Personally, I like it that way. Don't know about engine comparison to the monster. But the engine brake is brutal. You don't have to use much in the way of brakes. I don't think there were any changes from 05 to 07. It's an all around good bike. Not very expensive compared to alot of the Ducati line-up, but still gets the heads turning when you pull in somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, well that's probably for the best. Dry plates wear faster. Well I think I'm going to go for it, it's a beautiful bike, and a hard deal to beat. Thanks for the info and advice. I'll let you know how things work out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Johnny,

I have the 06' 800 SS and I got it from MotoCorse. I've put over 15k miles on my bike since I got it in '07. I use it to commute anytime I can regardless of rain or shine. The bike is very stable and fun in the twisties. I put in the STP slave clutch cylinder to replace the OEM one and find the clutch to be much easier and smoother, especially in the wonderful bumper to bumper that can happen in and around Portland. If you do get it, try sometime the run out to Beacon Rock on 14 or going up N 503 out of Vancouver to Cougar, another fun ride. I need to go on some of the ones out of Portland some time but just haven't gotten a chance to yet, been having fun w/the ones on the WA side.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Throwing a few +1's in here to what others have said. I have an 06 that I bought used (?!) with 56 miles on it and I think I paid around $6300 so you are in the right ballpark. Just make sure belts and tank issue are examined.

It's an easy bike to work on even for a nub like me so that's a plus if you want to do your own fluid changes or more. I'm only up to about 2600 miles now but it has been pretty much flawless. It sticks to the road and it definately can be dialed up.

And it looks so sexy even the Harley guys have to admit it's a beauty.
:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I going to jump in here and state that I am glad to hear all this. I just picked up an 07 800 SS and I am completely geeked about my purchase.

Moreover I am glad to hear all these positives about the SS. Cannot wait to get my performance exhaust to squeeze a little more hp out of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is deserved praise. It's a good bike and I've already decided that when I get more bikes, the 800 stays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts