Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bumped the mirror on my '05 ST3 and it fell off in my hand! The mirror head fell off of the stalk which then fell off of the base plate. How in the
#%&* do you get the spring stretched back inside to put it back together?
I did check with the dealer and it is sold as a one piece unit...........$150.00!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Take the base off the nose piece. It is held in place by two bolts from inside. Get an old cork screw, make a hook on the very tip of cork screw. Hook the cork screw on the lower part of the spring and pull until the spring clears the mounting piece. Slide over the mounting piece and slide the cork screw off. Put the base back on the nose piece and you are done!

-Fariborz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mirror

One note, I had a similar experience, the spring was basically very loose and the mirror would vibrate at speed. The dealer replaced the mirror under warranty, but in looking at the spring, they are pretty soft metal and easily distorted. It may be one of those things that will eventually need to be replaced by a better quality piece should it start to loosen up again.

That said, to take the mirror off, the windshield, dash faring and interior faring piece around the windshield need to come off to access the back of the mirror. Doesn't take too long and may be an easier way to rebuild the mirror and ensure everything is properly engaged.

·
Registered
623 Posts
So, do you think it would be wise to put some kinda wire leash inside so you don't loose one at speed some day?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had two mirrors replaced under warranty (both left) due to loose spring. Agree that it would have been easier to replace the spring but ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dna said:
One note, I had a similar experience, the spring was basically very loose and the mirror would vibrate at speed. The dealer replaced the mirror under warranty, but in looking at the spring, they are pretty soft metal and easily distorted. It may be one of those things that will eventually need to be replaced by a better quality piece should it start to loosen up again.

That said, to take the mirror off, the windshield, dash faring and interior faring piece around the windshield need to come off to access the back of the mirror. Doesn't take too long and may be an easier way to rebuild the mirror and ensure everything is properly engaged.

Ditto, I tried and tried to get my mirror back on without taking the off the windscreen and dash panel to no avail.

Then I took the above items off and used needlenose visegrips to pull the hook of the spring over the mount from the inside. No problem!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Those darn mirrors. I've also had both mirrors replaced on my '05 ST3. The dealer ordered the left one before I even took it home. The right one was replace a couple of months later. The tech wasn't surprised about this. Guess it's just one of those things.

ducsbill

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, they bust pretty easy...I was parked at work at the end of last year, someone bumped my mirror, and it fell off...He told me he would pay, but his eyes got big when I told him it would be $156 & change...I was thinking down the road, I might see about replacing them with aftermarket?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Anybody think about the leash idea? BMW RT owners have been using them for years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It goes back on easily like Fariborz said in post #2.I have a homemade spring puller that did the trick. Luckily the mirror didn't fall to the ground when it came apart. I am adding an 8mm combination wrench to my tool kit so when it happens again in BFE I will be able to mount it again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been thinking about mounting a set of mirrors with the indicators build into the same unit.

And then I thought about putting some bright lights in the old indicator location on the fairing - not so much for better night driving (which I avoid because of the wildlife here), but maybe to flash traffic when I suspect they don't not see me coming........

Doc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts