Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In starting my '05 ST3 after its winter hibernation I have found that the orange EOBD light will not go out. I thought it may have been due to an overdose of Sta-Bil, or because the cylinders were "flushing" the tablespoon of oil I had squirted into the cylnders for winter - but I have changed the spark plugs and have ridden about 50 miles and the blessed EOBD light is staying on.

Any ideas? Am I damaging the engine by continuing to ride?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Assuming you left the battery connected and on a battery tender, try disconnecting the battery a minute or two to allow the computer to reset. If after reconnecting the battery it's "fixed" it you probably didn't hurt the engine.

If that doesn't do it, pull off the body work and check the hoses for brittleness that may have caused a crack. Look for evidence you didn't have a critter take up residence behind the fairing/body work and snack on your hoses and wiring. Disconnect the battery again and disconnect and reconnect all the electrical connectors that are accessable.

I personally wouldn't ride to much with the light on before taking the bike to the dealer.

·
Still needs a life.
12,427 Posts
I developed a similar problem yesterday on the last lap of a 200 mile ride. My speedometer quit working (readout of "0 mph" on the digital display), but all of the other electronic gauges work. The yellow check engine light came on and has remained on after further start ups, along with the non functioning speedometer. I long for the minimal electronics of my 01-ST4. Back to the dealer this week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
whatsit1

According to LT Snyder's 3rd. edition for maintenance, you can check the error code by holding down the left button on the dash and turn on the ignition key to reveal the code. It should be a series of two numbers, i.e.
4.2, or 12.2, 37.1. Although the book doesn't say for what year this procedure will work on, he says it's for the 5.9 ECU that the later bikes like yours has.
I have the book and if you get a code, I can look it up for you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the prompt feedback.

I disconnected the battery, reconnected and found that I still had the EOBD light illuminated.

I then held down button A whilst turning the ignition key. The message shown was - in large letters "EFI", then in the dash box that normally displays milage or the trip computer data "ER 5.1".

Is the bike sick?

·
Registered
37 Posts
whatsit1 said:
Thanks very much for the prompt feedback.

I disconnected the battery, reconnected and found that I still had the EOBD light illuminated.

I then held down button A whilst turning the ignition key. The message shown was - in large letters "EFI", then in the dash box that normally displays milage or the trip computer data "ER 5.1".

Is the bike sick?
Looked the code up and it says "Battery Hi"

Looks like the charge on the battery is to high, which more than likely is a overcharging system problem, Regulator my guess.
Sounds like back to the Dealer time. Riding it much more will cook the battery for sure.

Bill........ I got your PM and responded back.

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
Thanks. Are all the error codes listed in LT's book? If so, the book may be worth buying for that alone.

Yes, LT says. It applies to all 5.9 ECU equipped bikes.

I can scan the codes and post them here for all to share.

I'll do it later, I got to run out now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Scratch that last idea about scanning and posting here.
My luck, I'll get sued for copyrighted infringement rights.:eek:

I will add that his book is worth it for the DIY, as a informational point to get more familiar with your Duc and to aid mechanics of most abilities.

Just PM me if you need a code.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
extrapilot said:
Looked the code up and it says "Battery Hi"

Looks like the charge on the battery is to high, which more than likely is a overcharging system problem, Regulator my guess.
Sounds like back to the Dealer time. Riding it much more will cook the battery for sure.

Bill........ I got your PM and responded back.

Good luck
Just a bit of a warning about the possible accuracy of the codes in the LT Snyder manual ... I finally had the EOBD checked by my dealer. It seems it was a problem with my over exuberant use of Stabil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi I have a 2009 GT1000, just re-built it, i have the OEBD Light staying on and no speedo?, everything does a dance when you turn it on?
I have tried to hold down the left button to get a code but nothing comes up on mine, i have also disconnected the battery, then re-connected it again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts