Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Older bike, same-ish motor; my 998 would get stupid hot in traffic (I've pegged the gauge a few times). Did a few things like getting the coolant system fairly well cleaned out, switching to a metal coolant tank (not an issue on the 999) after mine burst. I finally ended up getting a lower temp thermostat and putting it in and wiring the fans to it to bypass the ECU turn-on point; now the fans come on both at like 180 instead of 212-217. It roasts the hell out of my legs but I no longer see above about 210 on the gauge, even in stopped traffic in the middle of July here in Florida. Wondering if you could wire up a switch to manually turn the fans on; I think with mine coming on a little sooner it keeps the motor from just running away with heat.
Yeah I’m going to try this tomorrow. I’m currently looking up a diy On here to get the best results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Can’t find any information on a manual fan switch for the 999. If anyone knows if this can be done please send my way!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
No well looked after modern Ducati needs a manual fan switch. Manufacturers don’t give the cooling system to the night cleaner to design. Maintained to operate correctly it won’t give problems. If you ride in 35 degree heat in stop start traffic the you may encounter problems, but you are at a pretty extreme end of the scale. Under normal circumstances you should NOT ever need a manual fan switch. If you do then you are masking an underlying problem with your cooling system.
A cooling system is not a very complex thing. Mechanical pump pushed coolant around the engine cavities and through the radiator. Mechanical thermostat opening and closing depends on water temperature. It controls flow to the radiator. Thermistor is a simple switch that closes the fan circuit in early bikes. It is rather easy to diagnose any cooling issues. Later bikes use the water temp sensor to trigger fans, one at a time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Take it to a radiator shop and have them sample he coolant for combustion gases entering/overheating the coolant via a leaking head gasket.

Pull the cover off of the water pump and check the impeller. Make sure that you can't spin it by hand. An impeller that is loose on its shaft will have a problem circulating the coolant properly.

·
Registered
580 Posts
TBH the temperatures you give are not excessive on a 999, I live in a hot country and see these numbers every ride. In saying that I never get the check engine light. My issue was the heat from the header burning my inner thighs and ass, my ass has been hyper sensitive since a fire in 2018. I fixed this by making a heat shield, now I can ride in jeans in 35c no problem for hours on end. I did a quick search '999-check engine light' lots of reading for you, will you find an answer I don't know. How are you checking the error codes, you say nothing shows up - are you doing it correctly. I cannot get any error codes to show on my dash but when I hook up to GuzziDiag I see them. Food for thought. On the positive side, you have a spare working thermostat sat on the shelf just incase.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Changed the thermostat bing and coolant. Ran bike to 180 turned off let cool and topped off coolant. Turned back on and let run for 10 minutes in driveway and once it got to 215 the fans popped on and the check engine light followed. Any idea on why? There are no codes popping up the bike just seams to be running way too hot!
Check engine light maybe triggered by the fan draw at low idle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Check engine light maybe triggered by the fan draw at low idle.
That would make me happy to know. How about why there would be a jumpy power loss at 230 I think maybe it’s reading wrong temp. I really would like to figure out how to wire fans as it’s been 95 the past few weeks and I may not be able to have children at this rate!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts