Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pani rightfully so steals the limelight and Ducky’s stunning 996R project seems to be the most ‘classic’ oriented project on the forum here.. and surely is one of the most stunning projects in general..
I know it is to early for the 05 999 to be given a classic stuature but it is now 3 models back.. the status the 998 had last december… so the years are showing on the least popular of the recent Duc’s..
So this is probably a major halt ( if not the final stop) in a development project of a bike i have grown to love deeply.. ( this is the only place where i can say this  ).
I’ve tried to add and improve looks but also a lot of performance and tech to an already stunning bike. To make sure it works and looks even better. All this in the most restrained of styles. With a minimalistic approach to colours and decals. Red, black and a bit of white.. with a dash of Ohlins Blue 
There are only decals of the in house brands Ducati works with. Themselves of course and also Brembo, Marchesini, Termignoni and last but not least Ohlins. The only diversion is the Fast Bikes decal as i thank them for putting me on Ducati way back in 90 .. it was Sean Emmet on the 851SP3 that sold me forever… i haven’t had anything but Ducs thanks tot hat review..
I’ve tried to find good quality stuff from MTS, Frentubo , Nemisis and did so… i’ve also been had through my sheer ignorance as it was a learn as you go experience… 
Got 2 sets of magnesium cylinder case lying around as bookholders… RS Cf heat shield and front fenders… and then the stuff i decided not to put on..
I’m very glad i went for the technical upgrades such as the upgraded internals (kits) on the ohlins and the 8 hour mapping of the flown and readjusted engine on the nemisis. It now has a wonderful setup and stability that is very reassuring. And the engine works took it from 137 rearwheel BHP ( taken at 13° C ) to a very nice 148 rw BHP ( taken at 26°c). An amount of power that has shown to be managable even with a 41 tooth rear sprocket… it serves to compensate for all the kg’s it can’t seem to get rid off. This rear sprocket must be the cheapest performance improver ever…
This and the TOTW II – DVD 
But the most stunning upgrade must be the brakes. The combo of billet 19x20, P4 calipers, Frentubo carbon hoses on the 330 mm 1198 discs have changed the way one rides
To let me ride at al, the DP racing seat was one of the cheapest investments with the 3 cm height increase allowing for some easy movement from side to side…
And surely, a certain fascination with CF, MAG and TI found it’s way on the bike..
I’m happy as Larry that i was able to hold my own at Assen last Tuesday and enjoyed the ride immensly. The bike allowed me to be in the top tier of my beginners group in which were some fast guys unable to get in the fully booked higher groups… none of them caught me  All this without being scared or feeling over the limit .. i even have some chicken strip left.. It says a lot of the bike and the setup..
Only on a ducati… 
I hope you enjoy the result of a two year journey.. :)
---------------------

Mod list 999R 2005

Phase 1 - 6
Suspension/geometry
Ohlins cartridge kit front
Heavier springs front
Ohlins cartridge kit rear
Heavier spring rear
Setup bike with more front loaded emphasis
DP Ohlins steering damper holder ( on it’s way - not yet installed)
Brakes
Brembo billet master cylinder 19x20
Brembo billet 100MM P4 calipers
Frentubo carbon fibre brake hoses
1098 /1198 – 330 mm brembo discs
Brembo Billet P2 rear caliper caliper
Frentubo carbon fibre brake hose
Underslung caliper holder
Titanium rear brake pin
Engine
Main overhaul
Cleaning and gas flowing heads
Timing and setting valves
Samco hoses
57 MM termignoni full system with titanium mufler
Nemisis Ecu installed
Was manually mapped in 2 sets : Open and with DB killer
Magnesium parts on cylinderheads
Larger waterpump
RS waterline out ( blue)
RS waterline joints( blue)
Titanium oil reservoir nut
Clutch
Brembo 19x18 billet master cylinder
Frentubo carbon fiber hose
Magnesium Clutch case
MTS Titanium clutch cover
DP Slipper clutch
29 MM slave cylinder
Frame and fairings
Carbon sprocket cover
Carbon front mudguard
Carbon rear mudguard and chaincover
Carbon frontfairing holders
Carbon air intake tubes
Carbon clip-ons
Carbon key guard
Carbon tank key protector
Carbon rear tank protector
Carbon tank pad / black lock
Carbon rear brakecylinder cover
Progrip race grips
DP titanium foot pegs – race inversed
Carbon rear seat unit
Carbon seat bolt holders
DP race seat
Carbon numberplate holder
Carbon number plate heat cover
Carbon mirrors
All in 1 light / Led rear
Gilles chain adjusters
Painted side stand to black to fit side fairing
Carbon rear stand lift robbins
Fabri double bubble screen
Black screen bolts
Renthal 41 tooth rear sprocket
Carbon rebound adjusters
Black rear height adjuster.
Probolt sprocket carrier bolts black

Left wanting :
EVR carbon aibox
Marchesini Magnesium wheels
Carbon fibre fuel tank
Magnesium alternator side
Magnesium cylinder side covers
Carbon fibre fairings for personal paintjob

grtz Koen

Attachments

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some more pics1

some more pics1

Attachments

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some more pics 2

some more pics 2

Attachments

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some more pics 3

some more pics 3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I have gone on record numerous times stating how much I dislike the style of the 749/999 series. However, that my friend is one fucking awesome looking machine...

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this makes me a happy punter :)

I have gone on record numerous times stating how much I dislike the style of the 749/999 series. However, that my friend is one fucking awesome looking machine...
it means i got the swan out of the ugly ducklin' :)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
The Pani rightfully so steals the limelight and Ducky’s stunning 996R project seems to be the most ‘classic’ oriented project on the forum here.. and surely is one of the most stunning projects in general..

grtz Koen

I must say, Thank you for the kind words. Ive followed your build threads and to me this is the best and most tastefully done 999r out there. Everything flows, Im not drawn to a particular part at first. But when you start looking, its in the details. Thats how it should be. Nothing that takes away from the bike as a whole, but when put together it all meshes perfectly. That is how art should be done. AND THAT BIKE IS A WORK OF ART!

Now I want a 999R.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good!

Now I want a 999R.
very good!

they would pair up wonderfully! :)

Koen

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice bike, I just sold my 999r last week. Although I love my new 1199s there will always be a special place for the 999r. Lots of ppl hate the bike ( you know the ones that want every ducati to look like a 916) and call it ugly, but I thought the bike was awesome especially the R. Hers a pic before i sold.

Attachments

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Just plain ol fucking awesome right there!!
Just plain double fucking awesome Kope!

I like the way you anchored your battery terminal pig tail-very crafty! The shame of it is there are very little DP stuff left for the 999 model run. IIRC they didn't make a magnesium alt. cover for the 4V. I like your brake set-up. Although after adding very expensive Brembo racing front pads my OEM steup will pull the rear wheel off the ground scray easy. Even with "OEM" Brembo pads my base 999 stopped very well. It would be interesting to see if it's worth the expense to change the calipers, perches and MCs vs. just a pad change-I'm sure yours is a better combo.
The heck with an EVR airbox, what you have is perfect and the OEM filter set-up is much better. Why not have spent the $$$ on a bore kit or stroked it while it was apart....Ducati Erv's 999R is stroked and it has been a trouble free mod IIRC so far. His is putting out 160RWHP.....FBF had a FILA R stroked putting out the same. An added cool little benefit of the overbore is the exhaust note...it's unusual and wicked for such little change in CC.
The 999 model run still holds it's own aesthetically, IMO much more of a "Ducati" superbike than the Pani, but 998 owners will say the same about the 999. More HP=more fun!

·
Flying Brit
1,809 Posts
Awesome...just love the 999R

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i could'nt sell it...

Nice bike, I just sold my 999r last week. Although I love my new 1199s there will always be a special place for the 999r. Lots of ppl hate the bike ( you know the ones that want every ducati to look like a 916) and call it ugly, but I thought the bike was awesome especially the R. Hers a pic before i sold.
as much as the pani is tempting, i could not sell the 999...
it will either be next to or not at all...

she's already sharing the room with a MTS :) It's like two kids. totally Different but you love them as much! :)

grtz

Koen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts