Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers everyone,
My beautiful 05 999R was delivered yesterday. Absolutely love the bike, Carbon everywhere! Can't wait to get it registered and go for a ride...
The gentleman I purchased it from mentioned there were a couple of extra exhaust pieces with it but was not very clear as to what they were.
I kind of forgot about it until the bike arrived and the shipper gave me the two pieces. One looks a large diameter Termignoni downpipe it's wrapped in plastic with the Termignoni script all over it. The silencer part looks like the stock Ducati piece same as the one already on the bike. It has Ducati etched on the side just like the stock unit. I've read that some of the 06 bikes were delivered with a race kit(exhaust, ECU) but not so on the 05's for the US. Also there's no ECU just the exhaust parts.
Anyone here have any idea what these are? Assuming it's a race exhaust can I bolt these up without having to replace/adjust the ECU?
The bike is way quieter than I expected for a toned down race bike.
I would love to have this exhaust installed if it's what I'm thinking it is.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
468 Posts
You get two exhausts with these bikes. A standard exhaust and then an ayes metric 54mm termi.

Im sure You should of had an ecu with it too and maybe some race air filters?

Anyway the DP ecu is junk.. The standard ecu can be mapped and the DP ecu which you seem to be missing has far from ideal settings...

Get some pics up, from what you describe I think you have the mid pipe and the 54mm termi. Should be pretty loud and a bit lighter than stock as no Cats

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I'll try to get some pictures posted when I get home tonight. From what I've read the US bikes did not come with the second exhaust but it appears this is not the case...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's the OEM exhaust can and I can guess that the pipe is also the OEM one.

The bike came with the "kit" which included Termi muffler and mid pipe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it looks identical to the stock silencer, which was my first impression.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, it looks identical to the stock silencer, which was my first impression.
I am sure that the exhaust on the bike is the Termi "Race" part. No one would leave the race kit in the box and ride around on the DOT-mandated stock exhaust. Check the outlet sizes, the race kit can will have much bigger holes and will also have a CF muffler shield as part of the kit. The stock shield is aluminum and I don't think the two are exchangeable.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Termi did supply a stock looking muffler(with the small stock outlets) that's not rebuildable.while I have not heard one the general feeling is its not worthwhile in terms of sound and performance.theres another thread here where a fellow cut one open buy mistake to core it

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It may be the earlier 999R race kit exhaust, which was the standard muffler (made by Zeuna Starker) but with straight-through flow and no catalytic converter for the rear cylinder, plus the mid pipe also with no catalytic converter. If the midpipe doesn't have a heatshield over the bulge about halfway along (and similarly doesn't have any evidence of one being bolted on) and there's nothing up the guts of the mufler then it could be the earlier race kit exhaust. I think the earlier race kit muffler might have had "not for road use" or something similar stamped into the underside of it.

I had the race kit exhaust on my 03 999R and it was about halfway between stock and the Termignoni assymetric system at idle and in the lower rev range, with regards to noise level. As the revs gets higher it gets a lot louder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts