Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 999 w/4400 miles. Bike is stock except MIVV pipes and mid pipe plus PC. Last fall bike ran great at a track day. Put it up for the winter and when I got it out in March, it started to stumble at low rpms. Got so bad that I trailered it to the dealer. (was going to the dealer for tires, service, etc anyway) Dealer put a different map in and I brought it home. Next day when I went back out it started doing it again.

What I notice is the bike begins to cut out at certain rpm's. If I slowly roll the throttle to reach that rpm its ok until it bounces. This happens with in the 1st couple of miles. Temp is up to 175+. Once I get on the road and open it up and run it for awhile, the problem seems to go away.

Does the Ducati run an open or closed system?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
how long was the bike in storage?
did you use fuel stabilizer or did you drain the fuel? it may be bad gas if the gas is older than 3 months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike was only stored for a couple of months and it did have stabil in the tank. When I took it to the dealer I had them perform the 6k service, so I assume the plugs were replaced...

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The '05 is open loop EFI for sure.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There are many stories on different forums that talk about PCs going bad. Check your fuel filter and see if it is gunked up, maybe run some high octane for a bit or some additive and get your fuel system cleaned out.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I would try a simple plug change. Make sure you gap them properly. For your 05' it's 0.7+0.8....worth a try. My 03' had a rough idle, little stumble off idle. I had my Ducati tech try to cure it. He tried a PCIII custom map which helped. A new DP ECU that I got w/ my full exhaust kit cured the stalling, but the "stumble" was still there. I replaced the plugs w/ Champions and the thing idles perfectly and has a dead smooth pick up from idle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it for a ride today and now I think its electrical. Maybe a sensor going out. It is still somewhat intermittent, but at certain intermittent (4-5k, 7-8k) the bike just misses like its not getting fuel for that split second. It feels kind of like bumping against the rev limiter. The bike runs fine other than that. There is not a surge once it picks up again which leads me to believe the injectors are being interrupted.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts