Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rebuilding my '05 999 and recently replaced the harness; the bike starts and runs but the headlight will not work.

I've checked the relay in the headlight bucket but there doesn't seem to be any signs of malfunction from it.

That doesn't mean it isn't dead....but what I'm really after is this one fuse that keeps popping.

Can someone please tell me what its for? There appears to be a purple wire and another wire that is yellow I think with another color for a tracer.

The headlight is unplugged, and the relay was unplugged as well and i STILL popped a fuse. So it's got to be something else.

Pic of fuse :

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's the head-light fuse. maybe there is a wire shorted out. Take a multi-meter, set it to connectivity tester, turn the bike off and see if it's shorted.

my 2cents

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is actually somewhat comical for me, I just spent the day tracking down a headlight issue today. When you pull that fuse all of your lights are out, the dash light, the low and high beam and also your tail light. Find all of those and make sure nothing is messed up. If I remember right it is possible to plug your rear brake switch into something else, maybe you have those turned around.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
You might want to check the other side of the headlight bucket too, where the wiring harness comes through on the bottom of the bucket and goes into the frame. When you put the bucket back on and are tightening sometimes the wire works loose and gets jammed in there between the bucket and the steering stem or maybe some got loose and are caught between the steering stop and stem. That'll cause a short. I've seen that one before...otherwise yeah, check all the lights and get your multimeter going...

I hate wiring issues...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is actually somewhat comical for me, I just spent the day tracking down a headlight issue today. When you pull that fuse all of your lights are out, the dash light, the low and high beam and also your tail light. Find all of those and make sure nothing is messed up. If I remember right it is possible to plug your rear brake switch into something else, maybe you have those turned around.
Thanks for your help! I traced the fuse back and found the rear tailight to be the culprit. Took it apart and found melted wires inside. Looks like I'll be needing a new one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts