Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike back from the dealer, where they installed a full 57MM Termi exhaust and matching ECU on my '05 999.

First thing I had to redo the lower fairing mounts to prevent it from melting around the kickstand. With that out of the way, I took it for its first spin.

Here's the problem: It pulls hard from idle to 6k, with a bit more power than stock. At 6k it falls flat, and I mean flat. I held off revving it any higher for a few miles, thinking something may be wrong with the motor.

I got tired of that and whacked the thottle open in 2nd gear. The flatspot extends to ~7.5k, then all hell breaks loose. The front tire comes up and it pulls like a banshee all the way to redline. So unless I want to ride around at 100MPH+ all day, I'm stuck with this huge flatspot right in the middle of my powerband.

Who else has run into this?

Any ideas? Fuel curve? Cams not degreed correctly?

I am scheduled to have a Power Commander put on and a custom map made next month, but I don't want to spend the time and money if the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What size is the stock exhaust on a 999? 57mm seems huge for a stock Testastretta engine. So many times in the past working @ Ducati dealerships I've seen people spend hundreds or even thousands on exhausts only to lose power in the end. Seems like the PCIII should help you out a bit if you set it up on a dyno.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rearviewmirror said:
What size is the stock exhaust on a 999? 57mm seems huge for a stock Testastretta engine. So many times in the past working @ Ducati dealerships I've seen people spend hundreds or even thousands on exhausts only to lose power in the end. Seems like the PCIII should help you out a bit if you set it up on a dyno.
That's a good question. I'll have to go measure the old one.

The 57mm Termi is the only one available for the 999 now. A 54mm was available for the '03-'04 models, but it won't fit the new style swingarm.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If your 999 is stock, (not a s or r), then you will likely have gaps in your power band with a 57mm system. You may want to do engine work (r cams) to get the proper power out of the 57mm.

Question: Does it really sound like a devil and move like the gods?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
It seems that the Testastretta is quite sensitive to Fuel/Air with a big-bore pipe. So a PowerCommander3 or FIM´s new ECU will probably solve your problem.

FIM costs more, but allows you to play with everything from ignition timing to fan-heat cut-in and so on. Link to them HERE http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/fimnews.html#U59

Here are some powergraphs for the 999 -05
The graph below shows ’05 model in red compared to ’03 model in green and a ’03 model 999S in blue. All are as delivered – std exhaust, etc.

Here is the source link..
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/99905mod.html

I hope it helps!

//amullo

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That doesn't sound right.... The bike is supposed to run 'quite well' after using the supplied chip and correct installation.

Double check the part numbers on the chip and make sure it's corresponding to the 999R ( *edit -- should read as: "...corresponding to the 999." ). If it is the correct chip, then there is something wrong with the installation OR perhaps the installed parts may be defective (leak). Take it back and have them look it over again step by step beginning with confirming the part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
migz123 said:
Double check the part numbers on the chip and make sure it's corresponding to the 999R.
WTF? :confused:
Did i miss something? As I understood it, He´s riding a "normal" 999 and not a 999R. :confused:

//amullo

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
amullo said:
WTF? :confused:
Did i miss something? As I understood it, He´s riding a "normal" 999 and not a 999R. :confused:

//amullo
oops sorry.... I meant to write 999, the original model of his bike.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Talk to Mark at DucShop. He'll explain the flat curve...

The pipe will definately improve the top end. In fact, power in the low end of the RPM's will drop off considerably with a 57mm system. I had more low end with the stock system on my 999r. Remember, this is RACE EXHAUST...and is tuned for the higher end of the band

R

·
0 Posts
i work on bikes and i can tell you when installing a power commander, if you dont calibrate the throttle position it will do the same thing, the best thing to to is speak with the dealer, they shurley cannot turn their back on you ,just rember anything can be fixed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm with R1King76 on this one. They need to set the TPS on the bike. It might be soft in an given area but not erratic like you described. Ask if they set the O2 as well as setting the TPS. It's all part of the install of the pipe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm new to Duc's, I will pick up my 06 999 on Monday.

I was checking into exhaust systems and in another thread I ran across a reference to Section 8 Superbikes.

They have an extensive comparision on the Termi and Zard systems and part of the comparo describes this flat spot and say's that a PCIII will fix most of the problem save for a small rev range.

The Termi 57 is supposed to give an extra 1,000rpm on top with substantial hp gains.

It seemed the Zard was slightly better in the mid range according to them.

Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
WISCorse said:
I'm new to Duc's, I will pick up my 06 999 on Monday.

I was checking into exhaust systems and in another thread I ran across a reference to Section 8 Superbikes.

They have an extensive comparision on the Termi and Zard systems and part of the comparo describes this flat spot and say's that a PCIII will fix most of the problem save for a small rev range.

The Termi 57 is supposed to give an extra 1,000rpm on top with substantial hp gains.

It seemed the Zard was slightly better in the mid range according to them.

Steve
Yeah, the link is right here :

http://www.section8superbike.com/exhaust.php

If you look at the 57mm system with the DP ECU you will see that the bike runs lean through the bottom and the midrange and then goes rich. This is down to the ECU. To be perfect you will want to stack a PCIII on top of it and get it tuned. That is what we are doing to our demo this week. I expact the midrange to pick up a lot of power. I attached the graph with the A/F ratio without the ECU.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just yesterday with the help of a good friend, we put on the termi 57mm full system.

First impression was awesome as it finnaly sounds like a duc should. But on a riding note I did notice it was a bit slower in the mid-range. Down low I didn't really notice that big of a drop. But as soon as it hits about 7k it takes off like a pissed off monster and goes HARD to the redline. It was very noticeable that is for sure, it will pay dividends on the track.

Basically if you are looking for sound, just get the slip on. Or basically a exhaust off a S model 999. If you are looking for power improvement for the track/canyons get the full termi.

Thats my 2 cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts