Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

anyone replaced 999s cams with 749R cams?

i know someone was going a project similar but can remember who or where?

Do you guys know if it's possible?

thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
On Speedzilla, a gentleman from England (Chris) and TomTom from Sweden have successfully completed the 749R cam swap.

It is not a straight forward swap however. You will need opening rockers from a 749S/749R/999R with 6mm valve stems due to different rocker arm geometry. The closer shims will also need to be ground down to a smaller diameter due to a clearance issue. And of course you will have to degree your cams to finish it off.

I've been wanting to attempt this project too, but have another one in the works that I need to complete first.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
A friend of mine had done that to his 999s..
As i recall, the list of mods needed to make it work is as above.

The power and torque gains where pretty good.. very close to a stock 999R as i recall. I can give my buddy a call and see, he probably has the dyno runs from the mapping availble. I believe the mapping on it was done by Hypertrick here in Stockholm, but i´ll have to check.

Tom at Hypertrick DID build a 1038R on a 999s base and that had 749R cams. Power was as good as a 1098. But that bike has HC Pistal Pistons, bigger valves and is fully ported and polished and has had ALOT of work done to it. Power went from ~138-139hp to over 155 (dont get hung up on the numbers.. that dyno is very conservative)

From what i can gather, putting 749R cams in a 999 engine is a good modification, but costly. Depending on what else has been done to the bike, there may be better "bang for the buck" modifications

//amullo

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all.

I think cams are one of the big difference between 999R and 999s engine. I dont think ti valve and 1cc is making the 7hp difference. i'd would think the majority is coming from the cams.

anyhow, I looked for an 999R engine for a long time. i found few but ended up not getting and fixing the bike.

I'm having ben fox do me a new crankshaft with stage 3 and fixing my rods. i'm having bruce meyers port the heads and do a valve job. blue print the engine once again and degree the cams (anyone have good cam timing numbers) and lighten the flywheel once again, this time down to around 1.5lb. Ducati ergal roller belt kit (around 1.5lb weight savings)

switch exhaust to LV or HPE...cant decide yet....

all this i hope to get increase the

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts