Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Firstly, let me say this is an awesome forum! You guys/gals are really good on giving out info.

Now for my dilemma. I bought an 05 749 Dark salvage (with 389 miles on it) about two and half months ago. I finally got it running last night. It ran really nicely, it was my first sprotbike ride, and I was pleasantly surprised that it had such a nice turn in etc.

But when I got it into the higher gears (shifted super nicely too) when I came to a stop, it wouldn't downshift. So even with the bike sitting still, you can't get it into first. I'm guessing, but its stuck in fourth, and can shift to fifth, or sixth, but it won't go down.

Any ideas?

Anyone here brave enough to disassemble their own tranny? Did you need really specialized tools?

Please tell me I can get to my trans internals without completely disassembling my whole motor. And possibly even leaving the motor in the frame too..

Wanna see what it looked like for its first ride?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Salvaged? that bike looks brand new! Good work!

Before you break apart the tranny, is the shift linkage in the correct position? If its set wrong, you wont have enough leverage to shift. Just a thought....

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanTheMan said:
Salvaged? that bike looks brand new! Good work!

Before you break apart the tranny, is the shift linkage in the correct position? If its set wrong, you wont have enough leverage to shift. Just a thought....
Hi,

Thanks, yeah, the trans isn't going to shift regardless of the rear set. You can grab the linkage with it disconnected, and its not going to downshift. You can upshift, but only to fifth and sixth, and back down to fourth. Of course, I'm guessing as I don't have a gear indicator. But I do know that you don't get neutral, and it is in a pretty high gear, as taking off from a stop is really bad.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mapless,

Yeah, I noticed it didn't really want to shift reliably when it was stationary. But when riding it stopped shifting. So, with the engine running, it won't downshift. If it rquires the bike to be moving to shift this could be a pretty bad problem. I mean it the shifter is *solid*. It will not shift to a lower gear. As I said it will go up a few gears, and back down, but it will not shift further. I've tried rocking the bike while in gear.. and the best I can get now is a "false neutral" and the bike can roll, but its not "neutral".. at least according to the light.

I think its time to start taking things apart. Sucks.. but what else can you do right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know this may sound stupid, but try and adjust the shifter rod. I found that my 749 sometimes had problems going into first at the lights etc. After a few embarrasments I tried adjusting the shifter rod and it made a world of difference.

Try checking you chain tension too.

At least this way you can rule out simple solutions before you start taking things apart.

Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys,

I started to take things apart this weekend. Drained coolant, oil, water pump, hoses etc..

And after staring at the parts manuals for awhile, I realized that the shift forks, and drums and what not really aren't accessible without splitting the cases. Ugh.

So I think its off to the dealer now. If its not a warranteed item, which it may not be, I think this bike is going to be a $7500 bath for me. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It wouldn't snap into first from neutral? Did you try rolling the bike forward a few inches first? My bike does this ocassionally, it's snaps right in after rolling it - that's how i deal with it.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Migz123,

Actually, you can't get neutral. The shifter will go from what I believe is fourth, to 5th and 6th, but won't downshift lower than 4th. It goes solid after that. I've been rolling the bike quite a bit after that, trailering and whatnot. If it only took a little shock to get it to shift that should have happened by now. But its definetly not just a little stuck.

And if it was, it would be crazy to ride it that way because you would never be able to shift while on a ride.

But when it was shifting well, it was great. In fact, I was thinking it shifted better than my Monster with 18k miles on it. And this 749 only had 389 miles on it.

I called the dealer, because to fix it would require splitting the case. And that would cost $1700... not including parts. ow..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im sure you already thought of this, but I was having problems shifting my new 749 and it turned out to be an air bubble in my clutch line. Your problems sounds slightly more complicated, but I thought I would share.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't have the newer style ducati's 749-999, but I believe ducati still uses the shift selector fork assembly as in the older 748/998 bikes. Sometimes, these things can get knocked out of alignment(as in a wreck), and cause the shifter to become locked thus one can't shift down or up. You can remove the left alternator cover, and then you'll have full access to the shift selector fork. Now if someone knows more about this than I, please interject, but this can be done without removing or splitting the engine.

Take a look, before forking out alot of money at the dealer.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bubba! This is the info I was looking for. I've only got a parts diagram, so its hard to tell if I can access shift forks and what not from the alternator cover. I've heard (twice now) that on the older bikes that this is definetly the case.

So now I'm going to take that cover off and see what is going on in there.

Thanks all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts