Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
749 or 999? HELP

Maybe a no-brainer question but hope you can opine.

Considering both bikes. Both '05s. Never owned sportsbike. Previously owned MV Brutale 750, BMW K1200R and briefly Monster S4RS (should have kept!). All nakeds. Looking for diff. experience. Told that 749 would be great entry level Duc sportsbike, get confidence. Just test rode 749, great feel and comfortable quickly, although it stalled often (what's up with this?). A few nice 999's available, some similarly priced as 749. Haven't ridden 999 yet. Understand both use same frames. HP/power the only difference? Rideability? Reliability?

Also, when searching, is there any specific thing to look for (good) or to be wary of in either bike?

Thanks, your thoughts/expertise is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't know what was up with the stalling thing, but would NOT purchase a bike that stalld for no reason (except rider error)....Never rode the 749, but the 999 "feels really small/tiny" due to tank size...I feel as though I'm on a 600cc....
Just my $ .02....

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Ya gotta ride both, then a decision should be easy.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'm a 999 guy. Period.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I'm a 999 guy. Period.
I'm a 749 guy. End of statement. :cool:

The stalling issue is common, and easily fixed. Affects 999's as well. No need to worry, but always a good idea to get a used bike inspected by a competent mechanic who knows the model you're looking at.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The 749 handles better, the 999 has more power. Ride both and see what makes you smile more.

Even though they have the same frame and everything else except the cylinders, most people think the 749 turns in easier and feels lighter. I haven't seen any scientific evidence, but the conventional wisdom is that this is because:
- Less gyroscopic effect of smaller, lighter pistons/rods/crank
- 180 tire vs 190 rear on the 999

There is a remedy. The headset on the 999 is adjustable for angle. You can set it to the steeper angle for quicker steering, but you'll need some new 27mm offset triple clamps to go with it. So for about a $1000 you can make a 999 feel like a 749 and have the extra horsepower to go with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had both and my current bike is a 999 mono. I haven't noticed much difference in handling characteristics and am enjoying the 999 more. To me personally it isn't as much work to ride, bigger motor = more power, more engine braking, wider range of power, less hard braking, and less tap dancing on the gear shifter. They are both excellent bikes and physically quite small and narrow. The 749 was awesome and blew my mind, the 999 was all that times 10!:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hey safetyfish, long time. You have your 998 back safely together?

And yes you are correct on displacement IMHO.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you have to keep your purchase price in check the 749 is a winner. Yet I decided to spend a bit more and get a 999s, never looked back. There's for me, no replacement for displacement.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your helpful advice. I do like a bit of HP so I will make the effort to ride the 999. I read about stalling issues with the 749 and it seems that its a fixable problem. I will continue the search and it may be easy as there are a lot of good deals on these bikes right now. Will also check out the 'S'.

BTW, I stopped by the Ormond Beach (FL) dealer and he almost talked me into an '08 1098S black - absolutely stunning bike with 6/700 miles. Wanted $15,650 and even though it was out of my budget, he had me salivating and thinking of ways to justify the purchase!! He worked me well!

Again, thank you all.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for all your helpful advice. I do like a bit of HP so I will make the effort to ride the 999. I read about stalling issues with the 749 and it seems that its a fixable problem. I will continue the search and it may be easy as there are a lot of good deals on these bikes right now. Will also check out the 'S'.

BTW, I stopped by the Ormond Beach (FL) dealer and he almost talked me into an '08 1098S black - absolutely stunning bike with 6/700 miles. Wanted $15,650 and even though it was out of my budget, he had me salivating and thinking of ways to justify the purchase!! He worked me well!

Again, thank you all.
Make an informed decision, buy the newest bike you can, get receords if possible. 2005-06's may have less issues. The "S" model is killer, I love them. I've seen 2006's 999S bikes sell in the $9-10k range. Great bang for the buck, and you get all the Ohlins suspension......

Cheers,
mark

·
Registered
85 Posts
I loved my 749 and didn't feel the need for more power - i thought the power was good and linear... i would say that is a major factor in deciding between the 749 and 999... and my 749 did stall occasionally - bike was stolen before i could fix it.

comfort opinions vary from person to person - based on what people prefer, taller people seem to find the xx9 bikes more comfy and shorter people (like me) seem to find the xx8 bikes more comfy...i haven't ridden the 848/1098 so i'm not sure how it fits me

side note: Obviously you r looking for a sportbike but i rode the streetfighter and omg, that thing is awesome...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mark and go speed go! There are a couple of nice "s" 999s. If I can get in a low mileage one for around 9-10K, I'll be very happy!

I did ride the streetfighter 's' and your right, an amazing bike, esp. with the 1098 engine! Loved it and its probably the bike I really want, but... the ONLY problem is the $15K price sticker for the regular bike and $19K for the 'S'. I was considering but felt that I needed (more like WANTED) the 's' version, so maybe when my business starts making money again, I can justify the 20K spend (taxes, add-ons, etc.)!! So poor me, I can only afford to spend $9-10K!! Just kidding...(!)... as I know I'm going to have a ball on a 749/999! They are definitely pieces of Italian Artistry and they run like lightening!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 05 749S which I do %80 street riding with and never feel like there is not enough power. I am 6'3 and feel like the fit of the bike could not be better. I do not think you will be disappointed with either though!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I have a 05 749S which I do %80 street riding with and never feel like there is not enough power. I am 6'3 and feel like the fit of the bike could not be better. I do not think you will be disappointed with either though!
Quite true.

The only time I notice that my SS is lacking in power is when I'm at 7000ft, trying to pass a tourist bus between switchbacks. Then my 999R has a clear advantage!

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts