Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been busy with work stuff and haven't had a chance to ride in over a month. Today I opened up the garage door and pulled out all the bikes and started them just so they could get a little "exercise," basically I started them up to and let them idle in the cold temps. I let the bikes idle for close to ten minutes then went out to shut 'em down and that's when I looked down and noticed just how close the exhaust pipes are to the lower rear portions of the fairing. There's a small opening on both sides and on my bike I happened to notice that the lower left side opening seems a bit too close to the pipe.

Upon closer inspection is seemed okay and wasn't hot to the touch but when compared to the right side it just look right. I've searched the interwebs for pics of this area and all such pics do not resemble my bike, i.e., the fairing is too close to the pipe and seems a tad warped. I need to take a pic and post it. In the meantime does anyone here have feedback regarding high heat situations where the fairing warped??:confused:

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,363 Posts
Never heard any one mention that before. You're talking about where the exhaust pipe exits the body panel I'm assuming. (Yellow arrow in pic 1)

In the stock image (pic 2) you can see that the exhaust pipe does run fairly close to the panel. Your bike has an aftermarket exhaust on it. Did you check to see if maybe the left side exhaust pipe hanger bracket was possibly tweaked outward slightly thereby moving that pipe slightly closer to the panel on that side?

If it bothers you that the pipes run that close to the panels you could always add some reflective heat foil to the inner surface of your lower body panels for peace of mind.

Click me. (C'mon Randy you know you wanna. :laugh:)>>>https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/gold-foil

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put a used 1000ds fairing on my 900 and noticed it was melted in that same area. So I did put some extra spacers behind that bottom left bolt in order to force the fairing to open up a little bit more and be further away from the exhaust. Just check how much room you have before the side stand would rub on the fairing when retracted.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard any one mention that before. You're talking about where the exhaust pipe exits the body panel I'm assuming. (Yellow arrow in pic 1)

In the stock image (pic 2) you can see that the exhaust pipe does run fairly close to the panel. Your bike has an aftermarket exhaust on it. Did you check to see if maybe the left side exhaust pipe hanger bracket was possibly tweaked outward slightly thereby moving that pipe slightly closer to the panel on that side?

If it bothers you that the pipes run that close to the panels you could always add some reflective heat foil to the inner surface of your lower body panels for peace of mind.

Click me. (C'mon Randy you know you wanna. :laugh:)>>>https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/gold-foil
Stosh,

Thanks for pointing out something so friggin' obvious I now feel like an idiot for not noticing it in the first place. Yes, my SS has Ducati Performance pipes so I'm thinking that their fitment and/or improper installation may be the reason the pipe is so close to the fairing. Please note again the the right side's pipe is near perfect and not close to the fairing at all.

As for the reflective heat foil I think that this being Christmas Eve you should buy me some and have it shipped ASAP. PM me and I'll give you my mailing address. :)

Here are some closeup pics of the fairing & pipe:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Is there no bracket on the header for the rubber block to hold the fairing away? Don’t recall when that first appeared now

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine was heat checked and cracked. Was able to gain some space by loosening clamps and pushing pipes into downpipes as far as they would go. But then I always felt that might precipitate cracking.

I ended up getting half fairings for it(for different reasons...) that made the issue go away.

I am guessing your slip ons are aftermarket. The header pipes themselves look stock. I have heard it is a fairly common problem.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Also make sure your header from the front is properly seated all the way INTO the header from the rear.

Loosen the bolt\screw on the rear a little, then get a helper to grab both downpipes and pull them upwards (helper will sort of need to lie over seat with one arm hanging down on each side of bike) while you tighten the bolt/screw.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
^^^^
Yes I have seen plenty of bikes where the vertical head pipe is not fully in the horizontal headpipe and the whole header is lower than it should be. Loosen the allen bolt at the connection and Tap/jack/push upwards on the horizontal pipe to see if it can move upwards. Loosening all exhaust bolts may be necessary to get it to move.

I have seen melted plastics where the added heat will curl the plastic towards the heat source yours does not look like it is damaged yet so i would try and fix this before it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts