Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice...the local dealer has an '04 (red) on consignment. I have talked to the owner (he has 5 other Ducatis), so feel comfortable that the bike has been well cared for. It has Termignoni Exhaust, Sargent Saddle, GPS, Hard Luggage, rear carbon fiber mud guard, carbon fiber front fender, carbon fiber timing belt covers (?), and a large wind screen (slightly curved outwards at the top). The bike has 3389 miles on it. The shop is asking $10,504. I think I can get them down some, but would like some thoughts on how it's equipped, price, etc. The bike is immaculate in condition. I rode the '06 620 and liked it (seating position, etc). I am an experienced rider, but have never owned a Ducati. I have a Screaming Eagle Harley Ultra Glide for serious long distance travel, but am looking for something to drive to work every day, have fun with, take shorter trips on, etc. My girlfriend weighs 113 and will be on the back some, but not often. I'm 5'8" and 175...it is a tall bike, but even though I'm on my toes, the bike seems light enough for that not to be a problem. I've always wanted a Ducati...any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks....TC :)

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Welcome TC!

`04 Red, Sargent saddle, hard luggage, rear carbon fiber mud guard, GPS (it's coming this week) is what I have. The seat is a little high, but not a problem for me at 5'-7". An `06 MSRP is $11,995, $10,504 doesn't sound bad with all those extra, I'd try to knock $500-1000 off. The Termi, luggage and GPS are big dollar items if you were to add them later. The carbon is probably around $600, the front seat another $310.

A few of things to check to make sure you're comfortable with them:
  • Kickstand: Too short, bike leans over too far any sloop especially with luggage can get scary. This was corrected the next year, if you look at an `04 vs. `06 you'll see the difference.
  • Mirrors: Too short, some complain they can't see behind them, not a problem for me.
  • Front brake shudder: Not everyone has this, so are worse than others. Mine is typically mild, but annoying, and I haven't found a real solution. The Ducati fix has been a smaller banjo bolt orifice diameter, all it did on mine was move the shudder down 5 mph and increase the pressure required to brake.
I bought mine for commuting and trips and it hasn't let me down.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just got home from 1000 or so back road miles here in northern Calif. you may decide you don't need the Harley. except for the rear hugger, the carbon that is on the bike is just eye candy. so I would tend to discount it pricewise. the seat is nodoubt better than the stocker. I have the DP gel seat and am thinking about a sargent or corbin. today was over 400 miles of back roads including 40 or so that were dirt. decided that the gel just wasn't enough. the bags are great and can carry a full size helmet. if the GPS is also DP, it may not be quite the latest and greatest, but should do the job.
I also am not all that impressed with the termi muffler. sounds good, but does little for power and saves no real weight other than the weight that one looses from thier wallet when they pay for it.
so, I say try to knock down the price a bit and buy it. I love mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! Was beginning to think nobody was going to reply...my thoughts are the same on the exhaust and other carbon bits, from reading this and another forum. The exhaust does sound good though, so I'm glad it's on there, but from what I've read, it does little for increasing performance...that's OK. The GPS unit is a Garmin Quest II, if I'm not mistaken...mounted nicely, just under the tach/computer...I've got a Garmin 76CSX for other uses, and the Harley, so have all the necessary software to plan routes, etc. I think I'll call 'em today and make an offer of $9500, as I think that's a pretty fair price.

Oh...the Harley must stay...for raw torque (100 fp) and 95 HP, it can't be beat. Plus, the Harmon Kardon 160 watt, XM/MP3/CD four speaker stereo sure does make long cruises nice. The girlfriend is comfortable back there too...got to keep her happy!! :D

Thanks for the advice!!! TC :yeah:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Well, the guy wouldn't budge off the 10,500 price for the '04, so I started shopping....a guy in not far away had one on ebay...he's building a new house, so needed to unload some debt. It's an '05 1000DS with only 2300 miles, all services, etc. I'm not even going to tell you what I paid for it because it was CHEAP!! Bike is like new....red, bone stock. Will pick it up Saturday morning. Can't wait to get some miles on it!

:D

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Yeah please don't tell us if it's that low ;) Congrats the on bike! Now starts the fun of customizing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts