Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

1 month ago, I took my bike out to the bank, and when I left, it wouldn't start. I usually have my trickle charger plugged in at all times, but I found out later that my roomate unplugged it for who knows how long. My brother came to the bank with his car, and we jumped my bike. I rode home and plugged the battery back to the trickle charger.

Today, the charger showed a green light, so I tried to start my bike. As soon as I pushed the ignition, the voltage dropped from 11 to 9 then finally gave a reading of "Lo". I took off the left fairing, and noticed the positive screw on the battery was loose (from when we jumped it) so I tightened it, but no luck. I then took out both screws to remove the trickle charger connections, then screwed them back in, positive first. As I was screwing in the negative screw, the terminal was sparking but it stopped after a few turns. This time, once I turned the key to the ignition position, the voltage dropped immediately to 9.5 or so. I pushed the start button and it gave me a reading of "Lo" again. I'm assuming I just need to change the battery? Mileage is almost 6000. Hopefully I can take it somewhere to test it because I have no meter. What do you guys think? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can try cleaning the terminals first. But, my experience is motorcycle batteries (even trickle charged) lasts just 2-3 years. Then, they are junk. and it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can try cleaning the terminals first. But, my experience is motorcycle batteries (even trickle charged) lasts just 2-3 years. Then, they are junk. and it's time for a new one.
Thanks for the info

How old is the battery - still OEM unit?
Yes, it's still OEM so about 6000 miles/5 yrs.

Also, never wanna jump a bike from a car...
Why is that? The current is higher yes, but voltage is the same. I made sure the car wasn't running, so the alternator wouldn't kick in. I just connected the (+) batteries and started my bike.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sure both are 12v, but the amps are different. You run the risk of causing damage.

Unless you're running a slipper, you could also bump start it.

I'd gotten typically 4 years on batteries, lots more mileage. But anything close to 5 would be gravy...

Check out the Speedcell batteries, uber weight savings for the cost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sure both are 12v, but the amps are different. You run the risk of causing damage.
This is not correct. The bike does not know wheather it's connected to a bike battery or a car battery. The starter takes the ammount of current that it needs to crank the engine, no matter what battery it's connected to.
It's perfectly OK to jump start a bike from a car as long as they both have the same voltage.

Now back to the battery question. When my girlfriend bought her -03 999 some years ago the battery needed charging between every ride and the starter barely managed to crank the engine. Before buying a new $200 battery i upgraded the battery cables for about $30, and got a new bike! We still run the same old battery, but now the starter cranks the engine really easy. I took the bike to the Dyno just before cristmas and forgot to charge the battery (it's winter here so it's been 4 months in the garage). Temperature was below freezing but the bike still started fine !!!

Here's some pics on my cable mod:

Old battery connector. The 10 ground cables are cut away. Lots of oxide here!

New home made connector. (Tin plated copper)

The new connector at the battery terminal

And finally the installation with new 16mm2 tin plated wires.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yup, battery is toast. If you want a Yuasa YZ10 for $100 lemme know. It's smaller and higher cranking than the YZ12. I just bought it a couple months ago so its still fresh.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
srg5150, thanks for the offer but I just missed you and ordered one already.

What about the sparking when I tightened the negative screw? Is that just minor power to the factory alarm, etc?

·
Registered
474 Posts
always gonna get an arc or spark when connecting the negative terminal. Nothing to be concerned about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts