Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I downloaded the 749R manual thinking it was close enough but I guess not. Which bolt do I need to unscrew to drain the oil and what mm hex is it? And what torque? I see a huge hex right to the left of the filter and assume that's where the mesh is and there is a screw right beneith it that might be the one I'm looking for but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's the Hex nut I believe...here are the torque settings:
Drain Plug: 42nm
Oil mesh filter: 42nm
Mesh filter duct plug: 20nm
Oil fill cap: 5nm
Oil filter: 11nm

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. so there's a hex that must be 30mm facing me, and then theres one facing the ground thats probably 10mm or less. its the 10mm one right?

sorry, i really need to get the proper manual

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I change mine I only need to remove the one on the side. It's the 14mm one. I also always remove the one underneath, 10mm. I remove the 10 first but I think you can just remove the side. The 10 mm one is some kind of sump i think.

Once you get the 14mm one out, depending on the year you will need to remove the inner screen with another allen. I cant remember the size. I think it is a 12. Not sure though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SHOULD be the 10mm one...But I cannot GUARANTEE that...I have yet to change the oil in the 999, but believe they are the same....I'm outta state right now so can't reference the manual or bike...I'll try to look it up though...:D
The sump plug is 10mm. The filter plug is 14mm. The filter plug is a secondary filter. This is what I found for a reference...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/petevtwin650/Ducati/Ducatisti posts/technical/Oilfilter749.jpg

Check out this site..I don't know if it's model specific...
http://www.ducatisuite.com/oilchange.html

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so drain plug = filter plug? based on the manual, unless i want to clean out the filter screen, i should only have to take off the drain plug and replace the filter. dammit, i thought this was going to be simple.

so the drain plug is the 10mm or the 14mm? im asking because i only have hex up to 10mm and don't want to go out and buy something i don't need, and also, i want to make sure im matching the torque numbers with the right bolts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The drain plug is the 10mm...Yes, you do NOT have to take off the screen plug/inspect...it is just a good idea to check it for metal shavings, etc...NOT required (but wouldn't you want to)...
Sorry, didn't know the sumps are different, but the info I gave is for the 749, NOT the 999...thanks for the correction
(You might consider calling a ducati dealer's service shop...they will KNOW EXACTLY)...just a thought

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent. thanks for all the help. now im off to the store to get a 14mm hex, and will be changing the oil for the first time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts