Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys ~

my bike is starting to make some sounds when i use the front n rear breaks!!

so i spend some time checking the thickness~ the pads Looked very thin!

both front and rear~~

its my first time changing pads for 999s~ how can I remove the old pads and

install new ones~!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
dude,
you need to get the service manuals from duc.nu

That being said.

1. Remove the calipers.
2. Push the brake pads aways.
3. Remove the pins that are holding the spring-like thingy on the top of the caliper using pliers.
4. pull the pads from the top. NOTE: DO NOT OPERATE BRAKES WHILE YOU"RE CHANGING PADS
5. insert new pads, put the springs and pins back
6. Push the pads apart so you can slide them on to the rotor
7. Tighten the calipers back onto the mount, you're set.
8. Oh wait... pump the brake levers multiple times after you re-installed the calipers, before you ride... don't ride it unless you've done this (Don't ask me how I remember this :D)

·
Registered
857 Posts
not too be too picky..

i usually do this with the old pads in so I don't damage the new pads.
:D I described that in step 2. In 6 the pistons should be away so pushing the pads away shouldn't be forceful. However, I do the push pads away (screwdriver with cloth) when re-installing the wheel after changing tires.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not trying to thread-jack, but after changing you break pads (or even before) should you be able to hear the pads sliding on the rotor at all?
lol... used to be my question of the month. Yes, you'll hear them sliding, side-effect of disc brakes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
At some point you need to clean your calipers and the parts that push the pads into the disk. You don't really want to get brake dust that is sitting on the pistons into the seals. A tooth brush does a great job with some light cleaning chemicals. Nothing really harsh since you don't want to damage the seals. There are a couple of videos on Youtube about cleaning your calipers and making sure that all of the pistons open evenly.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Why? There is no need to do that whatsoever!

Tom
If you're a craftsman then, no you don't have to. I suck at wrenching, I tried not removing the calipers, after enough cussing I removed the calipers, and the job was much easier, and if I remember right, the manual hints to remove the calipers if you're a sloppy joe like me :eek:.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
If you're a craftsman then, no you don't have to. I suck at wrenching, I tried not removing the calipers, after enough cussing I removed the calipers, and the job was much easier, and if I remember right, the manual hints to remove the calipers if you're a sloppy joe like me :eek:.
I guess I've been doing it too long without removing calipers to even think of removing them!

Tom

·
Registered
464 Posts
Scrub the rotors with a scotch brite pad and some brake cleaner (non-chlorinated). You can also hit the calipers with the brake cleaner and a stiff nylon brush.

You don't have to remove the calipers but its easier that way IMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts