Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've an ST2 and a MTS, but still lust after the 749/999. Just not enough to pay top dollar as I already have two Ducs.

Ad in my hood for one with no front/side fairings at $5400. Supposedly well maintained. Looks pristine, except of course for the missing plastics. One could only assume it's been thrown down the road, but I don't see any indications elsewhere on the bike. NADA has average retail at ~$3,400 but I can't say I've seen any for sale around here.

Does the price seem reasonable? I'm guessing the plastics could be sourced on e-bay with some patience? Or not so much? Not sure what's up with the tricolore fairing...

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
love the broken bit of fairing still attached to the upper side mounts.

it's a lot of money for a not complete bike. i would have assumed 749 were give away money by now. but if it's what you want and you can make it what you want then the cost is somewhat irrelevant. a clean bike is a better starting point than something that's got corrosion, etc, so it might be worth it if it's otherwise nice.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
147 Posts
You can find the fairings piecemeal on ebay, fb marketplace, Craigs, etc.... You might get lucky and find a deal, but generally if you are hoping to get O.E.M. parts it's gonna take time and $$$. Unless you get them all together as a complete set the chances of the paint matching 100% is about nil. There are plenty of places to get aftermarket for a fair price but not all of them are equal by way of fit/finish and overall quality. the asking price on that bike seems like its a non-starter, to return it to presentable by way of looks alone could put you at twice the bluebook. "Supposedly well maintained" is not very reassuring, my wife's 748 was pristinely maintained...until she parked it 14 years ago. Unless there is a lot more info or im missing something you are much better off waiting or finding a more reasonable bike a little further away. I don't mind a bike with a history or a story, but I have to know it so that I can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Supposedly well maintained" is not very reassuring...
Agreed. That was purely my suposition based on how clean it appeared (minus the missing bits) and the owners claim that it was "perfect mechanically" and "well maintained".

I'd definitely request that proof if I were to go down that road. But when the experts tell you to run the other direction...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Walk away, if you are not in a hurry just wait, you will find the right one at the right time--That one is for sure not the right one.

·
Registered
'10 848 Evo
9 Posts
Fairings are easy to get, but the price seems really high. However, if it's in a condition & mileage you doubt you'll ever find again and you are in love with the model, it can be reasonable. All depends on what is defined as "reason" according to your love and feel for the bike 😁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts