Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the track last weekend and was having a hard time shift up in to 2nd i would shift up from first and give it gas and some times it would pop out into neutral or it would kinda buck back and forth when giving it gas.

Also coming down from 3rd to 2nd sometimes it would click down but would not go into gear it would make a grinding sound and would have to press the shift lever several times befor it would go into gear.

I'm thinking it could be 2 things one the pick fork that moves the gears is bent or the gear is worn out.

I have new sprockets and chain, new clutch pack and basket. bike just about18k for miles

·
Registered
217 Posts
my 749 does this as well, it will typically only do it if going through 1st with hard acceleration, and then shifting into second and back hard on the throttle it will feel like it has popped out. I would say it is probably due to the gear not being fully engaged. When it dropped back to neutral, i can just pull the clutch back in shift into second again and it sticks.

However the downshifting problem i have not experienced. But again it sounds like what you are describing is a grinding gear from not pressing the shift lever all the way when shifting and almost like its getting stuck between the 2 gears.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem as well on my 749... very annoying and could potentially be hazardous... almost fell when it popped from 1st to neutral under throttle as I was doing a u turn...

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I been doing some digging and it looks like either 2 things which both suck very bad because you have to tear down all most the whole engine to get the gears.

1. The most common is the Gear selector fork bends or breaks because on slamming the gears to hard.

2. It could be the actual 2nd gear teeth slipping out

Both of these have to have the engine tear down. I called 2 different shop in 2 different states and told them what was going on and they both say most likely it the forks bent

Its kinda like how your rear main seal goes out on a car its cost like 5 bucks for the part but the labor to get to it like 700

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a similar issue but it's not all of the time and it from fourth to fifth and fifth to sixth, think it could be the same issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem with my 749 at the track - getting false neutral from 3rd to 2nd... but not every shift - so it was always a surprise. final answer was a very slightly bent shifter fork inside the gearbox. Replacing it cured the problem completely, but it does require an engine teardown

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same thing happening with my 749s. "Surprise" (I don't call it false. It really was in neutral!) neutrals all over the place. Turned out to be a broken shifter fork. Not really a bad job to replace. Just remove the left side cover and every thing is right there. The worst part is removing/installing the alternator/flywheel nut.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Turned out to be a broken shifter fork. Not really a bad job to replace. Just remove the left side cover and every thing is right there. The worst part is removing/installing the alternator/flywheel nut.
Are all 3 shifter forks right there after you remove the alternator cover? could you be a little more elaborate in your description? maybe even post some pictures of when you did it.

Cause if I have to split the cases to get to it, I might as well put some 999 (100mm) pistons and cylinders in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts