Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out for the inaugeral ride this season when i came to a light and behold the gear lever will not move! it seems to have no give(at all). i cannot shift up or down, luckily i was able to get home. what would cause this sticking of the lever? any solutions?

thanks
--chad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now coming from a fairly mechanical person, is this something that i can do? and is it easy to get to?

thanks
--chad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now would that spring prohibit the shift lever from moving up or down?

it really will not move...wither way.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If the lever won't move at all it might be a bent or broken shift dog. And I'm afraid that might mean taking off the side casing to get to the problem. I'm hoping it's something simple but that's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LETS HOPE NOT!!! anyway a coworker at work knows a guy that use to work on older ducs before they became twins...and he can fit me in 28 days sooner than the stealership!

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
pelican369 said:
LETS HOPE NOT!!! anyway a coworker at work knows a guy that use to work on older ducs before they became twins...and he can fit me in 28 days sooner than the stealership!
no offense...that's back to, like, the 70's. Has he worked on the newer stuff or will he be leaning on your dime?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL...thats a good question. well, i am going to have him take a look at it, and i will see whats what. i do appriciate the concern though!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Fianally, after three weeks of waiting for parts the my 749 is alive again :D !!! So excited here I had to share. Now I have to wait for the stinking weather to turn.

1) two return springs
2) gear shift fork
3) gear actuating rod
4) and the shift arm

$60 worth of parts and a lot of waiting, it was killing me. Good things come to those who wait.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Any idea of why this happened? Was the bike crashed or raced or anything like that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I am the second owner. The Guy I had purchased the bike from told me he had dropped it at low speed <15mph, and a few scratches were produced and everything that needed to be replaced was.

I went to look at the bike and the only thing that I could find wrong with her was a few scratches that he had told me were there. Also, I had taken the bike for a ride and all was well. Apparently when the bike went down it had bent the gear shift and broken some internal pieces which must have needed some time to fully break.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
that sucks to hear, but glad to hear you're rolling again. I had a similar problem with my old SS, but, I found the bolt holding the shift detent ball had backed out. Tightened everthing up and she was fine.

Cost to fix:
one tube of ThreeBond ($15 :mad: )
two fistfuls of hair (irreplaceable :mad: :mad: )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YEAH...I hear the fist full of hair!!! I had taken it to a guy that had worked on ducs before they had become twins, and he told me that he could fix it but it may be under warrenty or recalled.....wishful thinking! I am glad he told me to take it to the stealership because for once the dealership had a fair price to fixe her.....300 less than ol man Joe!

I still have to wait for the weather to turn, I am in Rhode Island right now and the rain will not let up. Hopefully I will have at least one day to get out and open her up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts