Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
Was out on the bike today, rode about 340 trouble free kms, went into a store came out and she would not start. (03 1000ss,ds.)
The dash lights all come on when the key is turned, the familiar buzz and associated sounds of the of the fuel pumps priming however NO sweeping tacho and speedometer needles takes place???
I have the full workshop manual and i have read the chapters concerned with the electrical systems and i have trawled the forum in search of a cause. At this stage i am thinking that the problem lies with the antenna that surrounds the key barrel not functioning correctly and or the immobiliser. I have the Red key and 2 Black keys and the code card. I have tried the 2nd Black key with no success. Tried to use the Red key to dissable the immobiliser as per the manual but that didnt work either.
Has anyone out there had this happen to them? If so what was the cause and solution? I would really appreciate any help. I will post the results of my findings as they come, in the hope that it may help anyone else that finds themselves with the same or similar problem.
Cheers.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
You'll get some responses from people who actually know what they're talking about. But until then, you could check the ground on the engine block. I had a similar situation on my 800 last year. I pulled off the ground wire, scraped the area on the block clean, cleaned under the ground connector, and viola. Fired right up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
+1 on a grounding issue.

have you had any stumbling probs? with my 03, she was hesitating very intermittently and sometimes wouldnt start. i dont actually remember if the guages werent responding, but it turned out to be a loose ecu. yup, the mounting bolts were loose and when i tightened them up, no probs since.

03 at around 5k when i fixed it. now at around 6.5k.

i figure the ecu needed to be properly grounded to chassis.

good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine will do it too sometimes, i have bad connections internally on the kill switch and i have to find the spot where it will make a connection.

if the throw on the switch is considered in percent where 100 is the run position i need to keep my switch at about 93 other wise it wont start.

i just havent had the time to tear it apart and fix or replace it, but it does happen on these bikes the electrics arent so good

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the tools most of the day and no Joy!!

Well i have read the manual, performed most of the tasks that it describes and the Bike is still a non goer. Called the lads at a local Duc dealer and a guy is going to give me a call with what i hope is some good news on how to get her going again. I have traced the leads to every connection and cleaned, inspected and carefully reconnected them all. Cleaned all the earth, ground points, pulled the instruments off, checked the ECU, fuses and am probably reaching the end of my ability to fix the bike. I also took the Antenna that surrounds the ignition barrel off and gave that a good going over, all looks good however that could look ok and still be stuffed.
Just so weird that the Bike has recently been down to Phillip Island for the WSBK and just yesterday performed beautifully for a Sunday fun day.
I repeated the steps that are set out in the manual for over riding the immobiliser but no matter what i did and how i did it the thing just would not work. When i put the red key in and turn it to on the immobiliser light comes on briefly then goes off then flashes 3 times pretty quickly then stops then comes on and stays on. Apparently this tells me that the Bike is not recognising the Keys. It will be more than interesting to find out what the F is going on and why!
Thanks for the tips on what to look for, let you know how it ends up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dumb arse of the week prize to me!!

A $2.50 3Amp fuse, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Yup i pulled and checked all of them, obviously did not look closely enough at the Instrument cluster fuse. It was the purple coloured push in 3A fuse. The separation was minute, i just did not see it!
Thanks to the lads at Duc Penrith for taking the time to check the Bike out on the spot and picked up the problem in no time at all. Cheers fellas.
I found it interesting that the Instrument panel still lit up, the fuel pumps got the message to prime and all the switches except the starter button responded. The needles on the Tacho and the Speedo did not do their little dance when the key was turned to the on position. This was the only indication i got on the actual Instrument panel, oh and the fact that it did not start of course. The other thing that threw me was that when i inserted the Red key and turned it to the on position, the indicators i got from the number of flashes on the immobiliser light was that the problem was with the immobiliser! this is what freaked me out as the first thing i thought of was $$$$.
Despite the embarrassment i thought i would post the results as someone may have this happen to them and hopefully have the same luck that i did in the $2.50 fix!.
The upside to this little problem is that i now know that every earth, connector and electrical plug including the fuse box and ECU are as clean as they could possibly be, and that i will examine fuses far more carefully in the future.:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
I found it interesting that the Instrument panel still lit up, the fuel pumps got the message to prime and all the switches except the starter button responded. The needles on the Tacho and the Speedo did not do their little dance when the key was turned to the on position. This was the only indication i got on the actual Instrument panel, oh and the fact that it did not start of course.
This is what threw me off. When I dumped my bike last year, the blinker tore off and must have blown the instrument fuse due to the short. But when I tried to start the bike, the fuel pumps didn't even prime. The fact that you were hearing them prime made me think of big $ also since when the fuse blew on mine I didn't even hear that.

Good to hear it was a cheap fix!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ground connections

I've never had any problem with mine, but since I'm just finishing up the winter maintenance, I would like to check all the ground connections too. Very simply, how many are there and where are they? Thanks

·
Chilehead
6,980 Posts
Actually, this just happened when I went to start my 999R after three months of sitting.

Everything did it's routine, but no dash movement and no start.

Then I remembered that I took out the dash fuse to use in my ST2 last fall, as the ST2 had blown it's fuse for no apparent reason.

The missing fuse cover made the problem readily apparent.

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pentathol, as far as the grounding points there are 2. The Control Unit grounding which is just beside the ECU. Apparently this is the one that quite a few owners forget to re attach because of its positioning. The other is the Engine grounding. It is situated on the right hand side of the motor behind the rear cylinder and next to the big black nut and rubber hose, i think that is the Crankcase breather.
This one because it will tend to get wet and dirty because of its position probably needs some close attention. The other point to clean and check while you are around that part of the Engine is the Neutral switch wire. It is located at the rear of the Engine just above the point where the swingarm is attached to the Engine. This point is quite open to water penetration especially when washing the bike. Just pull it off, give it a clean and a slight crimp so that it makes good contact when you push it back on.
Yup Chuck i have been wondering what might have caused the fuse to blow.
I cant think of anything in particular but i am on the prowl. Obviously if i find the reason ill post it. In a way i hope i do find it so i know the problem is fixed!
This is my first Duc but i have owned a number of other Bikes. I was a late starter and i dont think it will be my last Ducati for obvious reasons "I LOVE IT".
If i have missed something or incorrectly named a part of the Bike when describing the positions to find connections please dont hammer me, im trying. If anyone can think of anything that may have caused the problem please let me know.
Cheers.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Good catch. Glad it came out cheap. Because of you're thread, I'm gonna go get some extra fuses and keep em with my bike. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts