Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

02 ST4s Starting Issue

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Willum 
#1 ·
I had a big ride planned this morning with a buddy and I got the bike all packed and I went to start the bike and it wouldn't start. The display was acting funny and it seemed like the it would reset the display mid cranking. It would turn over and act like it wanted to run for a second then quit. I had this issue once last year but it started after a few tries. I am going to take a video of whats going on to show. Is this a ECU problem? I changed the oil and then washed the bike. It ran before I changed the oil. Maybe I got some water in something that shouldn't get wet.

#2 ·
Things to check:

Battery voltage
Pull and re-seat all fuses (cleaning contacts too)
Main battery terminals clean (even if they already look it)
Check for burned wires around the voltage regulator
If you don't hear the pump prime, check the fuel pump relays
ECU grounding

It sounds like a bad ground overall, but it could be in a few places.

#3 ·
I just went to take the video and it started but it started only on the front cylinder after a few seconds the rear kicked in and sounded good. I let it get up to about 190 - 200 degrees on the center stand and i went over and went to blip the throttle and it died we to restart and the battery didn't have enough juice to turn it over. I need to get a battery charger or just jump it again off my other bike and go ride it for a good 30mins for the battery to take a charge.

#8 ·
Well she runs again. The negative battery terminal nut was loose and it seem to help when I correctly put the high beam bulb in, the dealership who did the the service didn't correctly seat the bulb in place and it was moving around.

#10 ·
I always start the bike up after washing to give the heat a chance to "Steam" everything dry otherwise occasionally she wont start if left wet.
Never really caused a problem and she doesnt have a problem riding in the rain even when torential and then when stopped the "Steam-Dry" process seems to ensure everything is OK for the next start-up.

#11 ·
I usually always do start it after a wash but I was running behind the day before the ride and had to wash it at 11:30pm and didn't want to piss my neighbors off by having it running for a few minutes :eek: next time I will though :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.