Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had a new law pasted in Calgary ticketing anything over 96 db on the city roads. The unit works like photo radar, with the fine of $200 going to the owner of the bike, car, truck.

Drivers, motorcyclists test Calgary

I was out of town, and unable to attend the testing. My bike has the DP carbon pipes. What db do think it would make?

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Will they do a free check for you? One get out of jail free card??? I down loaded a free db meter app for my phone. I think it was around 98-99db with my FBF pipes, but there are so many variables. Drive by test? Stationary test? What RPM?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did a free drive by test over the weekend. I was out of town, but, what was surprising was half the bikes that did attend, failed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is another free test Wednesday 4-8pm.

·
7,733 Posts
We just had a new law pasted in Calgary ticketing anything over 96 db on the city roads. The unit works like photo radar, with the fine of $200 going to the owner of the bike, car, truck.

I was out of town, and unable to attend the testing. My bike has the DP carbon pipes. What db do think it would make?

Probably about that depending on rpms. Keep the rpms down a bit and you should be okay. I found on my ST3, the bike is not much louder than stock at 3500 rpm, or highway rpms. Where it sounds louder is at idle, and when on the pipe. Remember those tests are pretty strictly conducted re placement of the mic's distance and angle from cannister, so I don't know how a photo-radar type set up could work, not to mention location complications, ie surrounding environments like buildings, cows etc. :confused: Oh, do you have a dry clutch? How will the "radar" tell the diff? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts

Have you got stock pipes or aftermarket ones?

Craig

·
Registered
244 Posts
PHHFFFT.. Friggin fun police.. Time to move!!!

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
We'll have the bastards here soon enough no doubt.

I might have to put the db killers back in my Stainey's :(

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Drill the rivets off and pull the end caps. Stuff some steel wool muffler repacking material in there. As above, keep the revs down, both getting there and during the test, nothing obvious.
Remove the packing when you get back home.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The tests they are conducting dont seem to very scientific which will result in inconsistent results.............Surely local motorists are going to campaign ?

In the UK noise tests are carried-out under strict and repeatable conditions and for that reason the police tend not to get involved. Car exhausts do not have to be marked but bikes do so they can have "Not for road use" stamped on them which would result in action but if a sticker is applied they are not allowed to remove it.

However the MOT test guys can just fail the bike/car , if they wish , for being too loud , no scientific test involved !

·
Registered
251 Posts
Went to the test after work today, reading was 89db in 2nd gear on the multi with Leo Vince slip ons. For the test you accelerate to 50km/h in about 50-60 meters and drive by the van which is recording the sound.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to the test after work today, reading was 89db in 2nd gear on the multi with Leo Vince slip ons. For the test you accelerate to 50km/h in about 50-60 meters and drive by the van which is recording the sound.
Were you on the throttle going by the van?
I was going to go this evening as well, but life got in the way.
You know, I kinda like the way they have implemented this system. We all see the photo radar ahead of time and slow down. We will see the photo DB van, and let off the throttle. Much better than mandatory testing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
yep, on the throttle, not real aggressive acceleration, I tried do it similar to what I do when riding in a residential area.
I agree it shouldn't be to hard to spot, just watch for the clean shiny Dodge Caravans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts