Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rehab the forks on my ST4s and am considering using Racetech springs and valves to upgrade/rehab them. Visiting their website offered a drop down menu to select make, model, etc. but had nothing for the 02 ST4s. I placed a call to them and was less than thrilled with the response. "Nope, sorry, we don't do that bike." - this after being on hold for 20 minutes and speaking to several employees in several departments. I would have thought that since the forks on this particular bike and MY probably came from a 996 production line, it would be an easy/available cross. I have a ton more confidence in the members of this forum to have the answer to this - are the Showa TiN inverted forks on the 02 ST4s equal to another Ducati model, that might be available from Racetech?

-or-

What would you guys do to rehab these forks? I have the preload totally preloaded, the seals need to be replaced, so I am already committed to taking them apart and replacing parts. . .and since parts is parts, I was hoping to trade up.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If I were you I would send an e-mail or PM to NCRick on this site. Suspension is what he does, and he rides an SS his wife rides an SS and he has a 748 for the track. He knows about Ducati suspension. I'm sure that he can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Duc4S said:
I need to rehab the forks on my ST4s and am considering using Racetech springs and valves to upgrade/rehab them. Visiting their website offered a drop down menu to select make, model, etc. but had nothing for the 02 ST4s. I placed a call to them and was less than thrilled with the response. "Nope, sorry, we don't do that bike." - this after being on hold for 20 minutes and speaking to several employees in several departments. I would have thought that since the forks on this particular bike and MY probably came from a 996 production line, it would be an easy/available cross. I have a ton more confidence in the members of this forum to have the answer to this - are the Showa TiN inverted forks on the 02 ST4s equal to another Ducati model, that might be available from Racetech?

-or-

What would you guys do to rehab these forks? I have the preload totally preloaded, the seals need to be replaced, so I am already committed to taking them apart and replacing parts. . .and since parts is parts, I was hoping to trade up.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
I gave them a call yesterday about revalving my ST3. I was not enthused after talking with them either. Aside from the fact that they had never even seen an ST3 fork, he didn't really seem to interested in picking up the Duc ST business outside what they already had. He said if it was an R6 or GSXR, they'd have no problems... :rolleyes:

I gave GP Suspension a call based on satisfied customer responses on this and the old version of the board. He was pleasant and seemed like a good guy to work with. An aside: I'm not ready to drop $600 for the revalving work and spring replacement on my ST3 forks. Maybe I'll save my pennies - if I go that route, it will almost certainly be with GP Suspension because he's at least seen the guts of an ST3 fork and has a few satisfied customers.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I'm planning on having my forks re-sprung for my weight. I already did the rear spring, as that is a cheaper endeavor. BCM does quite a bit with suspension, so maybe give them a jingle. I plan on discussing the exact fork mods with them this spring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got my forks back from GP suspension last week. Just getting them installed with a power commander so still striped down. Am looking forward to get her on the road this weekend to check it out.

Dave an GP knew what needed to be done, and had suggestions for the rear spring too. May need to inc spring tension, Im 225 with gear and it may be a bit on the soft side, but am going to rider it for a while before dealing with the rear, it may be ok.

Give dave a call, he truned my forks around in a week and it was closer to 450. I thought 6oo was a bit steep too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thank you for the plug Butch! Duc4s, we are very able to help you out. The ST4S forks are not so bad as they are, we would have to talk about your situation to make a best recommendation. Springs are almost always a good option as a straight rate spring suited to your weight and riding style will really help. Depending on mileage and service history, bushings and seals may be called for. The fork can be revalved using either the RaceTech stuff or even with our preferred Penske Superbike conversion. We can also do the Ohlins conversion but I would recommend the Penske kit for that bike. The forks can either be sent to us for a quick turn around or we can offer some options for a DIY project and all the correct race tech stuff is available from us at a discount. Leaving the valving as is isn’t too bad either. With good 5W oil and the right spring, you will see a very noticeable improvement. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss this further. The Guys at GP suspension are great by the way.

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and the winner is. . .

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the valuable input - at least I see that it wasn't my imagination about the less than adequate customer service - maybe they were especially busy that day - not my problem though. Rick - I will PM you. . .

Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow, I went through the same exact thing in talking to Race Tech! I talked to a man who has helped others install the springs and Gold valve kits. Go back to Race Techs site and do the spring calculator. Most people will opt for the 0.9 kg/mm springs or if a lot of track time then the 0.9 kg/mm ones. The Gold valve kit is the standard one for our forks - that is follow the recommendations for the 2001 ST4.

I cant believe that they have not updated their site for our brand of bikes in so long.

Dave Harhay

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dharhay said:
Wow, I went through the same exact thing in talking to Race Tech! I talked to a man who has helped others install the springs and Gold valve kits. Go back to Race Techs site and do the spring calculator. Most people will opt for the 0.9 kg/mm springs or if a lot of track time then the 0.9 kg/mm ones. The Gold valve kit is the standard one for our forks - that is follow the recommendations for the 2001 ST4.

I cant believe that they have not updated their site for our brand of bikes in so long.

Dave Harhay
I would do what you suggested but have zero confidence that I will get what I 'need' from Racetech at this point. I am sure that the forks for the bike are soooo custom that it would cost them a bunch of money to create/research/develop the parts/pieces for this application (<tongue in cheek - no scratch that, full on sarcasm). Further, I should have realized that they don't care to service this model, as it was not listed. As a dumbass consumer, I shouldn't and won't beg for information, then pay for the privilege. Sorry for the rant - I really have no animosity towards RaceTech - it just flabbergasts me that a company would turn away a slam dunk (from my POV) sale. I posted here because I knew that I would get and have gotten information that I have a measure of confidence in. So. . . I need to make a few calls, solidify my decision and move forward. :think:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I ran into the same thing with my 750SS several years ago. Because they had never done one, they just didn't seem to care. It is one of the reasons I have gotten so deep into this stuff. I give them credit though, there is no other company who have so many bikes on a database.

If you are looking to do the job on a DIY I can help you get the Gold valve kit installed. I can suggest what Gold Valve kit to get also. We also have customers who just send in the cartridges to us for the Penske install.

·
Registered
187 Posts
NCRick said:
If you are looking to do the job on a DIY I can help you get the Gold valve kit installed. I can suggest what Gold Valve kit to get also. We also have customers who just send in the cartridges to us for the Penske install.
Rick,

I'm very interested in learning more on DIY re-valving and re-springing my 2004 ST3 preload-only adjustable forks. The respringing part seem pretty straightforward, but the re-valving has me puzzled. If you have any experience or in-depth knowledge with those forks, I'll start a new thread for the discussion. I would elaborate why it has me puzzled in the new thread, if necessary.

S

·
0 Posts
Sperho- Lots of talk about your forks on here. First off Racetech is not a bad company like anywhere else you half to talk to the right guy. A couple of things can improve your forks greatly. First your seals can leak do to age and mileage and are simple to replace, just always replace with N.O.K. seals, Available threw aftermarket or Ducati. Then your springs are to soft and you need to upgrade to a heavier spring rate. The best way to find out which spring is correct is check your sag. Most people look completely over sag and just chase their tail because of it. Over time your oil also breaks down. Showa is trying to save money ($5 a liter compared to $25)so they only use adequate fork oil not the best.
Then we turn to valving. Yes, it can get expensive and racetech seems to have a lower price on valve kits compared to other brands. Goldvalve kits only address compression. Other kits like the Ohlins address compression and rebound together. That is why it is twice the price.
Start with seals, oil and springs. That you can do yourself with the right tools or cheap to send them out and let someone do them. If after that you want valving then budget for it. Also don't be afraid to try different spring rates. We provide spring swap service for customers if we do their forks. If we did your forks and your sag number wasn't correct afterwards then just send them back and we will change the rate at no charge.

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now was this so hard?

OK - so I have been in contact with Duc mechanics from both BCM and Cliff's and have come up with an answer to my question in the original post. It seems that the forks in the 99 ST4 and the 98 900SS are identical to the forks in the 02 ST4s - except for the TiN coating. Yes, SBKI, it is quite often a matter as to who you talk to,to get the 'right' info, but I was put on hold more than twice being told they were going to find out for me. It is what it is - if they had given me an answer to begin with, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to post this and to widen our collective knowledge regarding ST suspension.

Cheers!

(I think Racetech needs to heavily discount some springs to me for this research I did for them:D )

S

·
0 Posts
Duc4s, Feel free to call me and I promise I won't put you on hold for very long. :D It would be great to help you out-Ken

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Duc4s, I have my 03 ST4s forks appart and waiting for the Gold valves and springs to arrive. Should you need a photo or two give me a PM and I can send them your way.

I am so excited for the winter to be over so I can try out the fork modifications, all the riders that have done the same have raved about the positive benefits, even for us road riders.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a set of racetech .95kg ordered for a VFR that I sold.
Would/could these springs with correct spacers work in my STS4?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

I used this Guy based on recommendation from my buddy who has a Honda VFR.

He rebuilt and re sprung my ST3 Showa forks and My Sachs Rear shock setting up both for my weight.
He is familiar with these and is talked of Highly on the VFR discussion board. He's in Fort Wayne Indiana.
With Forks and Shock it was just under $800.00 .
Bike handles way better, best money I've spent.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if they fit, od up to 38.8mm or so.

i usually put 0.95 in st4s, unless you weigh quite a bit more than average. they tend to need a lot of preload too, more than you'd use on a less front endy bike. i make spacers to give 22mm or so, normally you'd go 15.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ohlins Conversion

I ran into the same thing with my 750SS several years ago. Because they had never done one, they just didn't seem to care. It is one of the reasons I have gotten so deep into this stuff. I give them credit though, there is no other company who have so many bikes on a database.

I had Rick do my 2003 ST4s forks about two years ago. He got the springs correct, the spring spacers at the bottom of the forks, the valves, seals, and correct oil. He did ask for my original sag settings, weight of the bike (front and rear), my weight, condition of the rear shock and what style of riding i did. I think he asked for every single bit of information required to do an outstanding fork upgrade.
Result: compliant suspension that is perfectly matched to the rear suspension. The bike is unbelievably comfortable and generates complete confidence. Matched the whole project with suspension tuning suggestions; am now in heaven anytime I ride the bike.

He's a master - don't even bother screwing around with other folks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the plug Butch! Duc4s, we are very able to help you out. The ST4S forks are not so bad as they are, we would have to talk about your situation to make a best recommendation. Springs are almost always a good option as a straight rate spring suited to your weight and riding style will really help. Depending on mileage and service history, bushings and seals may be called for. The fork can be revalved using either the RaceTech stuff or even with our preferred Penske Superbike conversion. We can also do the Ohlins conversion but I would recommend the Penske kit for that bike. The forks can either be sent to us for a quick turn around or we can offer some options for a DIY project and all the correct race tech stuff is available from us at a discount. Leaving the valving as is isn’t too bad either. With good 5W oil and the right spring, you will see a very noticeable improvement. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss this further. The Guys at GP suspension are great by the way.
Hello I would like some info on that since isn't to proceed with a diy revalving

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts