Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have maintained bike per Ducati requirements and am due for 30k service. I stopped at a dealer many miles from home to get their price and what service would consist of thinking it would be nice to have a warm destination to ride to and have service done.

At 24k in June had standard service done (belts, valves, etc), new chain and sprockets, new battery, flush and new coolant, flush brake and clutch lines.

Only issue with bike had been intermittent starting issues which was due to crank position sensor and loose wire. Bike runs better with each mile.

Tech at dealer quoted minumum 8.5 hours for standard service plus parts and wants to flush clutch and brake fluid, flush radiator, new half rings, replace clutch plates and basket (no clutch issues, no groaning or slippage). Also wants bike for a week in case he has to order parts. This is a Ducati dealer. Minumum charge at least $1000.

What would you do?

Thanks for input.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Many of us skip the intermediate 6,000 mile major service once our bikes are out of warranty. Once the desmodromic valves get imbedded, the clearances are unlikely to change over 6,000 miles. Before my accident, I typically put on at least 12,000 miles/year. After an ST of mine was out of warranty, I would have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and a major service (belts, valves, fluids) done every 12,000 miles.

Did the dealer say the clutch plates are too thin? I got 42,000 miles out of my OEM clutch. There were no performance issues with it when I got it replaced, but the mechanic at Ducati Seattle said the plates were getting thin.

The engine has to be stone cold when the valves are checked, so I doubt a major service could be done while you wait. I always scheduled my major services in advance with DucSea. I would drop my ST off at DucSea the afternoon of day one, they would work on it on day two, and I would pick it up the evening of day two or the morning of day three if the work took longer than expected. I am baffled by the dealer's statement to you that they need the bike a week in case they have to wait for parts. Absent an uncommon failure of an unusual part, a reputable Ducati dealer should keep in stock those parts most likely to be replaced during a routine service.

How long ago was the 24,000 mile service performed on your bike? Belts need changing every 12,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first. If your 24,000 miles service was less than two years ago and you are having no performance issues with the bike, I recomend regular oil changes and have the next major service done at 36,000 miles or when the belts are two years old, whichever comes first.

The 8.5 hours for a major service is right out of the Ducati service manual. My major services at DucSea always ran in the $1,000 to $1,400 range depending on whether or not I also had new tires/chain/sprockets installed as well. No small change, but I knew the price for playing before I entered the game.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tech had not even seen the bike yet as I was just checking. I have 29,600 and thought it would be fun to ride somewhere to have bike serviced. He just said at 30k the plates and basket would need to be replaced which is why I am concerned about the overall charge and what else he may find.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I would guess that if you can't do the services yourself, then you have to pay the going rate. I agree that after your 24k service you can basically do your major 12k services when they roll around. Change the half rings? I wouldn't unless they are broken. If you do, you start all over with the valve adjustment. Keep the oil and filter changed,air in the tires, and go ride....Will

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think $1000 is a fair price for a complete (I said complete) major service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts