Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all, i am trying to get my 02 750 SS running again

the problem started with drain on the battery. for awhile now the bike has started easily after a ride but the battery got low after a day or so.

now, even with a fully-charged battery, there is only a single click with the starter button. i can hear the fuel pump though.

i'm a non-expert with electricity but here's what i've tried:

with the ignition in "off" position, when i check the voltage between the positive battery terminal and the positive cable, its about 10 V. When i pull of the bottom fuse (the ECU fuse) it drops down to 0.8 V. none of the other fuses change the 10 V. shouldn't that voltage be zero?

the resistance across the bike cables (without battery hooked up) is about 3 M ohm. shouldn't that be open loop (OL) if nothing is turned on?

i discovered the wires to the kickstand kill-switch were fried, particularly the green. the white kickstand wire was cut off. the kickstand switch was working fine though.

when i bought the bike the kill switch didn't work

wondering what are the most common things i should start looking at first?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You really should be seeing 12v+ overall. (should have 2v coming out of each of the battery cells). You did say you are seeing only 10V........which just about indicates one of the cells is dead in the battery.

What are you seeing from just the (+) and (-) posts on the battery itself? (Should be 12.x volts and upwards to just below 14v when the bike is running).

On-a-side-note. Another sign of a dead battery, and sure even showing 12V, is when you hit the starter switch and just get the click. A bad battery can have you chasing-your-tail real easy. (And even with the fuel pump running at a lower voltage can mislead you at times also.........a "lower pitched" sound vs a higher pitched when it is getting the right voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks kaamacat. i should have been more clear.

across the battery is 12.5 V.

i was thinking that there is a serious electrical short b/c, even with the ignition off, my test light will burn if i hook it between the positive battery terminal and positive capable on the bike. i think that means theres a big drain on the battery when everything is off?

maybe there is something wrong with thinking here?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. Ground wire between engine and frame was corroded, although it looked OK on the outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts