Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

About a week ago I found a `02 Ducati 620 Monster ie on Craigslist with 22k miles on it. The day after I got it home and went to start it up I got no response from the starter. This has become a pattern where I would say 80-90% of the time when I go to start it the first time it won't start. I'll either get no sound/response from the bike, or I'll get the starter try to fire but just not turn over... On the list of really odd responses sometimes the starter will fire, not turn over and when I take my finger off the button it keeps trying to fire until I actually turn the key off, even the cutoff switch doesn't stop it. By the way, yes I do have the choke all the way open and kickstand up.

The routine I've had to follow when I don't get a start (no response or doesn't turn over) is to flip the cutoff switch, turn the key to off and wait a minute or two then key to on, cutoff to live, clutch and punch the starter. Ordinarily the pattern will follow:

1st attempt: No response at all, push the button and it's as if I hadn't pushed the button at all.
2nd attempt: Either no response again or starter actually cycles but no start.
3rd attempt: Often I can get success on this attempt.
4th attempt: Should it fail on the 3rd attempt fail I almost always get a success on the 5th attempt so long as I'm following the pattern I described above of turn everything off, wait, and try again.

The previous owner claimed she never had difficulty getting it to start but that the battery might be low from her not riding it for a couple months. She has a bikemaster true gel battery in there so it has a longer shelf live than normal. I checked the battery and was getting 13w out of it where the battery docs indicate a full charge reading of 13.10-13.15. Regardless I put it on a tender which ran for less than an hour and finished off with a final load reading of 13.85. I immediately pulled it out of the garage and tried to turn it over, no joy, same behavior as I've been seeing...

SO, I've decided to take it to the forums. One of the beauties of the motorcycle community I've found is the willingness to help each other because each of us knows how much we love riding. The one blessing of this issue so far is that it hasn't prevented me from riding, just made it frustrating to get the bike to start up.

Thanks in advance folks,
OBie.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
try simple things first, check connections:

check the ground to the engine case
check battery terminal torque
check heavy gauge connectors to starter
check connectors from wiring loom to the controls

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about running the wiring, bypassing the stand cutoff, bypassing the solenoid, etc. What has me kinda turned on my ear is how there is a consistent progression:

no response->starter tries->starter gets stuck in loop->bike turns over

Now, sometimes when I try the bike it will jump to a different starting point but it never goes backwards. If it was a bad connection somewhere I would expect it to be completely random instead of there being a repeatable pattern...

Definitely a good thought though.

Anyone else have any ideas, or seen anything like this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would start by replacing the battery.

Cranking amps is different from reserve amps.
You could measure the amps when you're actually cranking.

If the bike does the same thing despite the new battery, return the battery.
Obviously that would mean you're current battery is fine.

Then you can move on to another possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts