Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at these two 998's. One is a 02 998 with 12k with mods for around $8500 with no 12k service done yet. This one is the one I posted about before it also has
power commander
998 r cams
carrillo rods
high compression pistons
cycle cats rear set
60 mm sill motor exhaust
d.p bar risers
ligthen and balanced crankshaft
fly wheel lightened
heads ported and tuned
pipercross air filter
kick stand switch elimator
zero gravity windscreen
carbon fiber hugger
ohlins steering dampner

The other is a 04 998s fe with recent 24k service (waiting to confirm if record is available). This one is asking $9500.

The 02 is also closer, about 1.5 hours away, the other well not so close.
Which would be a better buy and bike over all?
Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
02 998

Nothing magical about the US SPEC FE same bike except the FE has Ohlin's Fork

t_bare

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
The FE has a deep sump engine and full ohlins and aluminum subframe. 24K miles is high but it is well worth it.

If you ever want to mod it for more power, you don't have to have external breather box like the regular 998 or 916 series. FE will be more collectable vs base 998. $8500.00 is a good price for that bike with the engine mods and full Silmoto.

I was that 998 your talking about up in NH 140wheel HP that is a lot.

I love that body style my next bike will be a 998FE.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey N.E S4, what is the difference when riding a 996 and a 998? Since you have owned both?

The FE has a deep sump engine and full ohlins and aluminum subframe. 24K miles is high but it is well worth it.

If you ever want to mod it for more power, you don't have to have external breather box like the regular 998 or 916 series. FE will be more collectable vs base 998. $8500.00 is a good price for that bike with the engine mods and full Silmoto.

I was that 998 your talking about up in NH 140wheel HP that is a lot.

I love that body style my next bike will be a 998FE.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
The 998FE came out in 04. I'm pretty sure it has deep sump engine. 998 engine is the same layout as the 999 you will not have the rocker issue like the 748 916 996. Regular 998 does not have the deep sump engine which include the Bostrom, Bayliss, Matrix.

I had the 02 998 I regret selling it.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
Nope. In the US it's a standard 998 with some carbon fiber and a set of Ohlins forks.

The deep sump motor didn't pass EPA emissions/noise tests so it was only sold for "off road use" as the 996R and 998R. However, it does still have a 17 digit VIN, so some states which are less vigilant will still allow them to slide through the registration cracks. :)

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Nope. In the US it's a standard 998 with some carbon fiber and a set of Ohlins forks.

The deep sump motor didn't pass EPA emissions/noise tests so it was only sold for "off road use" as the 996R and 998R. However, it does still have a 17 digit VIN, so some states which are less vigilant will still allow them to slide through the registration cracks. :)
Ok, I'm wrong. I know guy I used to ride with had a 998FE it has a deep sump engine he bought it from NH.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
Ok, I'm wrong. I know guy I used to ride with had a 998FE it has a deep sump engine he bought it from NH.
Could be an an import, or.... that is Bruce Meyers territory. Possible swap?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
Back to the original question, my only reservations about the '02 are the past usage (ex-race bike?) and the high compression pistons. You walk a fine line with HC slugs--power vs reliability.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to the seller neither he nor the previous owner raced it. He states the previous owner had the work done at BCM and them later upgraded and he purchased the bike. It looks clean on photos and that does not mean anything but it's all I have for now. Is there anything I should be looking for when I look at the bike?

Back to the original question, my only reservations about the '02 are the past usage (ex-race bike?) and the high compression pistons. You walk a fine line with HC slugs--power vs reliability.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
It would be nice to know just how high those high compression pistons are, and then to have a fresh service.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Performance vs reliability

So I'm concerned as to what I'm walking into with the 02 998 with regards to what your saying about the high compression pistons. I would have to get the service done but will the tech find some additional issues and if so what will that cost me vs a normal set of pistons?

It would be nice to know just how high those high compression pistons are, and then to have a fresh service.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
With HC's, your first concern is detonation. If the bike runs well on pump gas, you're OK there. The secondary concern is just long term wear and tear on the bottom end. If it runs well without the race fuel, I think you just keep an eye on things and enjoy. If it eases your mind, you can always lower the compression just a touch with thicker gaskets.

See if you can work out some sort of deal including an immediate service. $9k?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He is pretty set on the price without service. I can try to plead my case some more I guess. Not many nice 998's around these areas.

Ok so I understand the 998 is the 999 engine in the old body style. I understand the service is a little easier as well and more power. But what else do you get over a 996?

With HC's, your first concern is detonation. If the bike runs well on pump gas, you're OK there. The secondary concern is just long term wear and tear on the bottom end. If it runs well without the race fuel, I think you just keep an eye on things and enjoy. If it eases your mind, you can always lower the compression just a touch with thicker gaskets.

See if you can work out some sort of deal including an immediate service. $9k?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts