Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 02 998 with just over 17k miles. It starts a little rough. I am planning on doing the usual new plugs and air filter. I have no service records on the bike. Is there any other things I should have looked at?
Thanks in advance,Tyson

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the forum. I have an 02 998 that I bought in October. It has 7K on the clock and nothing was ever done to it except for an oil change a few years ago. I'm going through it and doing the full service.

In your case, no records = no maintenance, or at least that's what you have to assume. I'd tear it down and give it the full monty:

adjust valves
replace timing belts
replace fuel lines and fuel filter
check fuel tank for rust
flush all fluids
consider replacing radiator hoses
good time to upgrade the starter cables
check battery, chain, sprockets
replace tires if worn or if date codes more than 5 years old

when it's back together change engine oil and do a throttle body synch. Adjust fuel trim if necessary, or fit a Power Commander.

Oh yeah, new plugs and clean the air filters too (I think the OEM filters are foam not paper so you won't have to replace them. My bike has BMC filters).

Good luck and have fun,
Debby

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Change the belts definite then do a service . plugs oil filter etc . Then ride it it`ll probably clean its self up in the running department .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I agree- no records no service! Kind of where I stood on that too.
I did look at the chain and figured on replacing it along with the plugs & filter. I did not know about the valves or belts! Thanks guys!! Tyson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts