Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an intermittent no spark issue on my '02 900SS nearly the whole time I've owned this bike. One day it may start and run fine all day long, the next day, nothing. I'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded. The fuel pump is priming and the engine will turn over fine, but it's getting ZERO spark at either plug (new plugs and timing belts, BTW). I've checked the fuses and everything is fine. The battery has been charging on 2 amps for a couple days now, but still no spark. I got it to run a few days ago by cranking my battery charger all the way up to "engine start". I'm at a loss here. Is there an ignition relay that could have went bad? I'm ready to go beat this thing with a hammer :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently had the same problem with my '04 1000ds. I replaced the pick up coil and so far it seems to have solved the problem.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Timing sensor

Start from the timing sensor - see attachment and work your way through to the spark plugs.

Check the 750SS thread that is high on the list of threads for the wiring diagram and legend I just posted for a 900SSie 2001

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
does the pump run while it's cranking? if not, the ecu doesn't know the engine is turning, probably rotation sensor issue or loom thereof. one place to look.

check the relays as well. those little siemens ones can be crap. just because it's clicking doesn't mean it's any good, altho it's usually the fuel pump ones that don't work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been having an intermittent no spark issue on my '02 900SS nearly the whole time I've owned this bike. One day it may start and run fine all day long, the next day, nothing. I'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded. The fuel pump is priming and the engine will turn over fine, but it's getting ZERO spark at either plug (new plugs and timing belts, BTW). I've checked the fuses and everything is fine. The battery has been charging on 2 amps for a couple days now, but still no spark. I got it to run a few days ago by cranking my battery charger all the way up to "engine start". I'm at a loss here. Is there an ignition relay that could have went bad? I'm ready to go beat this thing with a hammer :mad:
I don't know anything about injected models, but I had this problem on my '97 900ss and the issue was one of the OEM coil wires had become disconnected at the coil. I pushed it back up there just a little, the bike ran fine. They actually screw into the electrode inside the coil. I replaced the coil wires with a set of TPO Dragons, they fit very tight and are going nowhere. All is well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issue with my 02 750ss. it turns out the the connections are dirty so i'm getting intermittent spark. just clean all the connectors and it should be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts