Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just continuing on my adventure to stabalize and bring my 748 back to life. At the recommendation of some people, I picked up this battery, and it's been working great for about 2 weeks. I noticed 2 days ago, in the morning it was a little less excited to start my bike. This morning it was no dice, battery is dead.

The thing is, I've been just commuting on it, which is simply about a 20 minute ride MAX each way. The bike just had it's service and the both the charging system and this battery were checked out as ok. The shop left the key on and drained the battery so they charged it back up, and I'm not so sure that's totally ok for lithium Ion.

Just curious if my particular ride case (short work rides, and at least bi weekly multi hour canyon runs) would be better suited to another type of battery, or perhaps a different Shorai.

·
Premium Member
5,735 Posts
I run the LFX18A1-BS12 on my '02 748... zero issues since 2011 when it was installed. It spends winters on the Shorai Charge and Store Battery Management System and riding season it gets zero attention. Absolutely no idea why you would be having a problem with a new one.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great response, just want to get a feel for who is using these batteries and how often are they riding the bikes they are in.

Yours is one step up from mine I guess. Hmmm...I don't even know if I have a lithium charger....damn these batteries from the future.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I've had one in my 916 and ST4s for a few years. ST gets the Shorai charger over the winter as it has some parasitic draw from the digital clock and maybe the immobilizer. 916 just sits, when it's off it's off. During riding season the bikes get out for weekend rides of a few hours. During the week, I swap between bikes for very short trips to the gym or store after work. Charger is put away for the entire riding season. No issues at all.

I suspect your problem is in the discharging an likely improper recharging of the battery. They do not like to be drained, and although i haven't dealt with it myself, I have read it's a killer. Do a search, I think there are a few discussion on the subject. Maybe there is a way to recover buried in one of them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks a lot, sounds like my use case while not being ideal, probably shouldn't result in a drained battery in 4 days or so. I was doing 2 starts a day, for about 5 days without much riding.

I'll have to check and see if my charger will do Li, I doubt it will, grr. If not, then do I pay for one, or use that money and just go back to one of those Yussas.

Thanks a lot.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,189 Posts
The shop fucked your battery when they left the key on, flattened it and charged it up.
I've been running the same LFX12 for 7 years now.
If you leave the key or lights on and flatten the thing ( and I have) then the only way to bring it back up is hit it with around 10amps for 10 to 15 minutes.
If you try it with a trickle charger or lipo charger it won't do the job.
I know this from experience.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you have the coin get an 18 from shorai and their charger. The only other thing apart from what's mentioned above is they don't like cold temps. just switch the bike on a minute or 2 before starting to warm it up.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,189 Posts
The shop fucked your battery when they left the key on, flattened it and charged it up.
I've been running the same LFX12 for 7 years now.
If you leave the key or lights on and flatten the thing ( and I have) then the only way to bring it back up is hit it with around 10amps for 10 to 15 minutes.
If you try it with a trickle charger or lipo charger it won't do the job.
I know this from experience.

Edit: I'm using an LFX14-BS12 not an LFX 12-BS12, sorry for the mis-information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts