Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my tank off my bike for about a week and it was upside down. Now that it's back on the bike, when I turn the key and the fuel pump turns on, there is a high pitch noise like a squeaking coming from the pump... I've not had problems though with it... any ideas? Is this a sign a failure is to come?

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2000 748 has made that noise for 6 years mostly after setting for more than 1 week and only at first start up...John

·
Registered
49 Posts
No solution, but my 99 748s does something like that, not all the time, just sometimes - more often when its sitting longer. If I turn it back off and on again, I don't get the noise. I'm interested in someone's answer as well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Make sure you filler up, sounds like it may be a priming problem.. Loud screeching is not a good sign. Mine makes a little high pitch whine when the key is swithed on then shuts off. Also check the plastic sender nut, its probably cracked and will cause a fuel leak. Yellow Blur has replacment aluminum nut for a very reasonable price and he'd great to deal with +++

·
Registered
724 Posts
No solution, but my 99 748s does something like that, not all the time, just sometimes - more often when its sitting longer. If I turn it back off and on again, I don't get the noise. I'm interested in someone's answer as well.
Mine will do that from time to time also and is no issue to worry about.

I believe it’s caused from pump cavitation (air bubbles) while initially building pressure in the lines once the pressure has bled off from the system sitting for awhile.

Thanks for the plug pjonte.:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had my tank off and my pump makes this same noise from time to time now too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird thing is it always made the whining noise when the key was first turned, but now it's more high pitch and more like a screech, horrible noise actually. Well if the pump goes out I'll let you know and we'll have our answer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts