Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an easy way to get this bike back up and running. Read I am missing out on track days because the bike is down. so instead of sending the bike off to have tons of work done (and missing MORE track days) over a long period of time, I want a simple solution.

As stated I have an 02 748s. Diagnosis is a spun rod bearing.

My options are:

98+ 748 engine

04 S4r engine (will this engine work?)

996 engine

opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

This bike is for the track and I want it running again before I miss to many more weekends.

Chris-

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best option for the track would be a 2001/2002 748R motor, which work fine in the 748 chassis and require just a fuel map change.
I would like that but where would I get one built/ bought in the same time as it takes to find a used 996 or 748 motor?

My main concern is getting back to the track and while this sounds like a great idea unless you have a line on one I'm going the 996 route.

My biggest question is the ability to swap in the motor out of a monster.

Chris-

·
Registered
797 Posts
Not sure what tracks you like to play at, but the 996 motor.
There really is no replacement for displacement when doing track days. I loved my 748/890 short stroke, but overall the big 996 motor makes life more fun. If you blow it in one turn, you have power to get out and back with your group of riders.

I've played with 2 different 748 motors for track and weekend rides in many configurations, and will never go back after having MUCH more grunt of the 996, especially a SPS motor....

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
There really is no replacement for displacement when doing track days.
Well, displacement that has a decent power to liter ratio. My 748R for example, had 102rwhp for 750cc machine. Thats not bad if you compare it to a stock 748 but, my 749R has roughly (+/-5) 130rwhp with the same displacement. Nobody has gotten 130 out of a 748R motor, its just impossible.

I'd stay away from the 748/916 motor because they have very low ratio's. The 996 has the same ratio as the 748R because they have the same valve size, but the 996 has way better porting. 996 lumps are also cheaper to buy, so if you can't dig up a 748R motor easily, I'd go with the 996.

BTW; if you want a 748R motor, call on my friend bob: www.rif-racing.com. He might have one soon...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oh yeah, I know of a great big valve 996SPS motor w/ just 1200 miles, loaded with all the goodies......
Plug n Play!

Mark

There really is no replacement for displacement when doing track days. I loved my 748/890 short stroke, but overall the big 996 motor makes life more fun. If you blow it in one turn, you have power to get out and back with your group of riders.

I've played with 2 different 748 motors for track and weekend rides in many configurations, and will never go back after having MUCH more grunt of the 996, especially a SPS motor....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oh yeah, I know of a great big valve 996SPS motor w/ just 1200 miles, loaded with all the goodies......
Plug n Play!

Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plug n Play!

Mark
Not sure if your being sarcastic or not but forward me the info via PM Please

Tye if you would do the same...

any word on the 996 engine out of a monster?

Chris-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may also consider the 853, or a 853 rebuild of your engine.
Desmoquattro S4R should be ok to fit your frame.
853 rebuild requires time. That may be my eventual option but for now... I want to ride.

thanks for the info on the S4r engine I'm hunting engines as we speak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts