Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just put my new 01 996 in the shop to get the belts done (01 with only 1800 miles on it!!) and am thinking that maybe i should do something else to it while its there. I can't afford to do exhaust and chip yet, but was maybe thinking about changing the gears & chain. Any suggestions as to size & brand?

I absolutely love the handeling of my 996, but it seems to lack that "kick" that im used to with my last bike (06 GSXR 1000). Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help!!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
I don't think the weight of the chain is going to make much of a difference on a street bike. Stay with the 525 and try something like a stock 15&42 on the back. Love it, myself.

But you will spend several hundred on a quick change rear and chain.

·
Super Moderator
8,194 Posts
Drop the front sprocket to a 14t sprocket is the best mod per bucks you can do. You can leave the rear at 36 for now.. 14/36 is a pretty good gearing if your running street and some track.

The best Bang for the buck in performance is camtiming and a good fuelmap in a PC3 or on a replacement chip. See this report on my own bike (Ok, it´s an SPS, but the gains are about the same on a normal 996)
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=60186

//amullo

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can also do a head intake and exhaust polishing by yourself, so it will not cost about 20usd.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What's the hot sprocket ratio for a 998? Mine seems to pull great...but always looking for more.;)

Flash

·
Super Moderator
8,194 Posts
Look at what you have..
I seen to recall a buddy of mine dropped a 14T on the front of his 998 and it wheelied in second, no problems.

//amullo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts