Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m getting on the freeway (after 10 min of warm-up riding) and I get on it to about 75 Mph. Running good and all of the sudden it sounded as I dropped a cylinder. Let lose of the throttle and the noise went away when reapplying the throttle I noticed a significant loss of power like the clutch slipped, then the red light of doom came on. I immediately killed the power grabbed the clutch and coasted to the side of the freeway. Checked the oil level looked ok Hard to see at 5 am. Checked the exhaust, under the bike, no oil showing anywhere.

Being able to work on bikes, but no Ducati engine overhaul experience, where should I start?

I plan on the basics Oil filter and plugs remove exhaust, FI and look for the oil.

What would you guys recommend?

Should I plan on a new motor?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'd pull the timing covers off and check the belts.. If you lost one of those.. then yeah.. Might as well get that 996 engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled covers both belt intact, drained the oil and the removed both filters some small amounts of metal. screen was clean. Removed the plugs looked good, removed the oil pump and checked the tolerances with a feeler gage that was good. remover the Horiz cylinder exhaust no collection of oil. Inspected the oil lines no breaks or kinks. I am going to put everything back together and attempt to start it see if there is any oil blowing out anywhere IE the exhaust.

I did note that during the oil change there was a small amount of copperish flake in the oil. Is this generally what comes off the rockers? Coming from the Dark side (Japanese bikes) that means you spun a bearing

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When rockers flake, chrome is the metal you will see. A good test to check that is chrome flakes is as follows:

Take a bit of battery acid and drop the flakes into it. If it bubbles (like hydrogen peroxide on a scrape), then they're chrome.

If you're seeing copper looking pieces, then possibly the rockers have flaked all the way past the chrome plating. This is very bad. Could a tooth from the tranny have sheared off, gotten lodged next to the crank (which could look like copper, having been coated with old oil; correct me if I'm wrong) and be gumming up the works there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts