Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding this past weekend and came into a corner a little hot:eek:...not too bad but babied my rear brakes and came out of the corner with nothing!! I have no pedal resistance and no rear brakes! Is this common? The bike has just over 10,000 miles. They are brembo. Do I need to rebuild my master/wheel cylinder? Where can I get rebuild kits? Thanks:yeah:

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
This was just brought up. No need to bleed often. I haven't touched mine in a year and it will lock the rear. Sounds like you have air in the lines and there's something allowing the air in. Check the search. Proper brakes do not need to be bled all the time.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Remove the caliper and hold it high above the Master cylinder when you bleed it to get allthe air out.

-M

·
Registered
15 Posts
The real problem...

...is that your bleed fitting is on the bottom of the caliper due to its upside-down mounting. You can bleed it all day and not get all of the bubbles out because the bubbles live in the top of the caliper. Kind of like trying to eliminate the foam from a draught beer by putting a hole in the bottom of the glass.

1) crack the bleed fitting loose then re-tighten it just enough that it doesn't leak (this is just to make opening the bleed fitting easier with the caliper off the bracket i.e., you won't have the benefit of its resistance with the caliper in your hand)

2) put a wrench, steel plate, old set of brake pads--something solid between your pads to take up the space where the disc would be, i.e. something to provide resistance to the caliper pistons.

3) hold the caliper in such a manner that the bleed fitting is the highest point.

4) THEN, do your bleeding.

It's tough to do by yourself, so you might want to borrow someone for a few seconds. When you tell them what you're doing they'll think you're really smart.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Besides bleeding in the correct fashion as stated, try a rear rotor I bought from Motowheels, the wavy one, I bought from them a few years ago, killer!!!! Great rear Brake rotor!! prefect for the 996.....................................................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts