Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to the forum. Hope I'm doing this correctly.

I've been riding for over 40 years. My first bike was a 1970 Ducati 450 scrambler. Last time I had a Duc.
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 748 with 2300 miles on it. It was originally serviced by TT Motorcycles in Massachusetts I think. A military person bought it from them off of Ebay this past Jan. It sat for awhile as he was overseas. When he returned he got a deal on a later 749 and sold it to the current owner who put 500 miles on it and decided his frame doesn't fit it anymore. He replaced the fluids, put in Mobil 1 and replaced the battery. The bike looks great in the pictures. He is selling it for $5300.

I also have a Suzuki Bandit 1200s 01 model. I ride year round and most of it is commuting. I would really like to have a 1098 but will be awhile before I can afford that.
I've wanted another Duc for a long time.
I've heard of the flaking rocker issue and it hasn't had the 6k service yet. I do most of my own wrenching.

Can I expect the 748 to have costly maintenance and how reliable is it?

Sorry for the long thread just trying to paint a picture.

Thanks,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, I'm looking to get a 748 too. There is tons of info here. Do some searches. The people here are really knowledgeable. There is a section here called the Hall of Wisdom. There is a thread in there that you should reed, it's called: Buying a used Ducati Superbike.

From what I've seen here so far, the price that he is asking is a little high. As you'll read here, you need to find out about the service history. Even though the bike has relatively low miles, it still has age going against it.

Other people here know WAY more about it than I do, just read the threads and good luck!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Check the Hall of Wisdom, but I'd be a bit worried about a nearly 10-year-old bike with only 2300 miles on it. It must have sat for a very long time, allowing fluids like oil and gas to turn into sludge and varnish - hoses can get brittle and crack, fuel pumps can get gummed up, the suspension may not work well anymore, etc. I personally would have it checked by a good shop before buying it, and I'd make the seller pay for a 6000-mile service even though it's not due yet based on mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You touched on all the things that were actually concerning me as well. I'm trying to keep my purchase from being "too passionate". I too am a little leery of age vs. mileage and what has been left in all the lines.
Thanks a lot.

Check the Hall of Wisdom, but I'd be a bit worried about a nearly 10-year-old bike with only 2300 miles on it. It must have sat for a very long time, allowing fluids like oil and gas to turn into sludge and varnish - hoses can get brittle and crack, fuel pumps can get gummed up, the suspension may not work well anymore, etc. I personally would have it checked by a good shop before buying it, and I'd make the seller pay for a 6000-mile service even though it's not due yet based on mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did find a lot of info which is good and bad in that the issues I read about kind of burst my bubble. :) But I needed confirmation about this stuff and to be smart.
His price seems rather reasonable considering the NADA and KBB prices. Range of 3900 to 6k.
Thanks for the Hall of Wisdom tip, I'll check that out.

Good hunting,

Hi, I'm looking to get a 748 too. There is tons of info here. Do some searches. The people here are really knowledgeable. There is a section here called the Hall of Wisdom. There is a thread in there that you should reed, it's called: Buying a used Ducati Superbike.

From what I've seen here so far, the price that he is asking is a little high. As you'll read here, you need to find out about the service history. Even though the bike has relatively low miles, it still has age going against it.

Other people here know WAY more about it than I do, just read the threads and good luck!

·
Registered
797 Posts

KBB & NADA are only a reference!! That bike in today's world is worth about $3500.00 tops! Maybe you have not noticed, but you can buy a nice 996 for that amount of money. Heck you can find nice 749's in that price range and are a much more reliable machine.

Take the emotion out of the equation, otherwise you may be upside-down in the true value of your bike by a factor of 100% once having a full service performed...............

KBB tells me my Porsche Carrera in a private sale should be $22k, in today's market I'd be real lucky to get $12k, case closed...........Yes 40+% off true value

Sorry
Mark

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I'd be a bit worried about a nearly 10-year-old bike with only 2300 miles on it. It must have sat for a very long time, allowing fluids like oil and gas to turn into sludge and varnish

Agreed but on the plus side, the rockers are probably fine...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

KBB & NADA are only a reference!! That bike in today's world is worth about $3500.00 tops!

>>>>> Really? He started at 5800 and came down to 5300. I thought that was a good deal.

Maybe you have not noticed, but you can buy a nice 996 for that amount of money.

>>>>>> I hadn't but didn't think I could afford a 996/8 and thought the "newer" 748 would be a more reliable engine.

Heck you can find nice 749's in that price range and are a much more reliable machine.

>>>>>> I looked at the 749's but don't like their looks as well as the more traditional ones. I really didn't like the looks of the 999 but that's just me. Plus the local Duc wrench who seems to be pretty good does not like working on them.

Take the emotion out of the equation,

>>>>>> Yeah, really trying to do that.

otherwise you may be upside-down in the true value of your bike by a factor of 100% once having a full service performed...............

>>>>>> That's what I'm afraid of.

KBB tells me my Porsche Carrera in a private sale should be $22k, in today's market I'd be real lucky to get $12k, case closed...........Yes 40+% off true value

Sorry
Mark
>>>>>> Hey, no worries. I need info and opinions like this. Gives me more to work with and make a good decision.
Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts