Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a new bike owner. First Bike ever. So, I'll take all advise and try anything I can. Here is the problem...

Just over an hour after I parked the bike, I couldn't get it to start. I can hear the fuel pump kick on for a second or 2, I try to start it, sounds like the starter is turning but for some reason it won't catch. I checked the plugs, they're black. I cleaned them off, put them back in, no change. I charged the battery, still nothing. Fuel, over half a tank. I opened the cap and I see the fuel moving when the fuel pump runs. I tried to see if the plugs were throwing a spark, but I got shocked and stopped trying. Getting new plugs Saturday since none of the local shops have them on hand.

I have 11000 miles on the bike, the last tune up was done at 9k I believe.

Is there anything else I should check?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

BTW, I washed the bike on monday, rode it tuesday for 130 miles, and another 70 miles on wednesday before the issue started.

·
grand poobah
716 Posts
peruse the hall of wisdom (a section on this sites main page)for voltage regulator connector failure. Bet that does it for ya. Best wishes Brad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I read all the post with the "voltage regulator connector failure," but the symptoms don't seem to match my issue. I'll look into it though. Is there a way to start the bike without the voltage regulator? I just want to get the bike home, its 60 miles away inside my office.

·
grand poobah
716 Posts
I wouldnt reccomend starting the bike without the voltage regulator. By the way the symptoms fit perfectly. IE The bike started and ran then unexplained will crank but not start. It is cranking off the battery but is not voltage regulated to allow it to fire. I dont know what you read or what you have done to look into it but "it" is a white connector on the right side of the bike sometimes bihind the battery support tray. It (the connector) can be removed and the wires soldered together. Best Wishes Brad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to make sure, its the white connector that has the yellow wires on it, right?
I pulled out the battery tray out, looked at the connector and the wires, but it looks fine at a glance. Should I still try to solder them together?

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
If it is an 01, it could be a split fuel line in the tank. That issue has cropped up a lot this year with the ST folks. We believe it is due to the increased ethanol content.

The ST will have a bit of fuel sloshing with the key on, but if you see a lot, it could be this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sloshing was minor, like a baby in a pool. After reading some of the other threads, i thought this might be a possibility, but I wanna try everything else and get it home before it check the lines inside the fuel tank.
Are there any other lines I should look at before going that route?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I charged the battery again, it said it was full within minutes of connecting it. So I kept the battery on for another hour, just in case. Tried to start it, and it almost caught! ALMOST.
I also took the battery to Autozone and had a load test done. Seems as though the battery isn't holding a charge. Weird. So, I'm gonna try the new plugs tomorrow, try to start. If I get nothng, I'm getting the bike home and trying a new battery. Then I guess I'll try the Voltage regulator and then check the fuel lines and fuel pump.

Is there anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike. Short and simple answer to that thread Yellow Blur linked to was exactly what you have trouble with. I don't believe fuel should be moving in the tank. You have a cracked line (probably not) and most likely the hose from the pump to the filter popped off of the pump.

It was a super simple fix but a very hard diagnosis. Had there not been so many things to check first, I could have followed Yellow Blur's advice and just pulled the tank and went right in to fix it. There should be no reason for fuel to be swirling. It looks to me that the return brings it right back in under the pump and pick up and there would not be enough pressure in a running bike to cause a lot of motion.

The hoses that split or pop off are 5/16" fuel lines from Auto Zone. They'll give you freebies.

Replace them. Don't just put them back on. They'll be slipper and pop off again. Tighten the clamps all the way, they can be fully closed without damaging anything.

Clean the plastic parts with a brake parts cleaner so they are dry and "rough" to accept the hose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read the threat, and I do think that it could be the issue. I'm going to pick up ther bike here in a minute, I'm gonna give it one more try with the new spark plugs and home it starts. If not, then at least I'll have the bike in my garage to check the fuel line issue.
I did read that thread, and after everything you went through, I was hoping that wasn't my issue.

If I gained anything from this break down, it's that diagnosing a bike at work sucks. Oh and now I know where everything is is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got the bike home yesterday. I also found the problem. The line from the filter to the pump came off. I got the line back on and as soon as I get the new o-ring I should up and running. I tried using the old one, but it was a little streched so I could get it to seal right. I'll post again if there continues to be a problem. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if anyone is trying to find out if I fixed it or not. But if you are, I did finish it all today. Got the new O-Ring in the mail today, put it on, greased it up, put it in.

The only issue I had that I figured out, was that the tank over pressureised when i put the pump back in, and the breather hose started leaking. So if anyone is doing this, although you might already know, remove the drain plug to let the excess air out from installing the pump. Or you can leave it on and know you got a good seal if it leaks fuel.

So, the bike is up and running, thanks again for those who took the time to show me the way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am glad that you got it fixed. I had the exact same problem with my 748R last Friday night. Just got it fixed yesterday.

Le

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not sure if anyone is trying to find out if I fixed it or not. But if you are, I did finish it all today. Got the new O-Ring in the mail today, put it on, greased it up, put it in.

The only issue I had that I figured out, was that the tank over pressureised when i put the pump back in, and the breather hose started leaking. So if anyone is doing this, although you might already know, remove the drain plug to let the excess air out from installing the pump. Or you can leave it on and know you got a good seal if it leaks fuel.

So, the bike is up and running, thanks again for those who took the time to show me the way.
Cool, glad you got it fixed relatively easy... :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts