Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

'00 996 with 2k miles-check for flaking rockers now or later?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  prince_ruben 
#1 ·
ok, so here is my query:

recently picked up a showroom condition 2000 996 and th eonly maintenance I will need to perform over the winter is belts and probably tires (original tires).

since it has just over 2,000 miles on it, should I bother checking for flaking rocker arms this winter or wait a little later?

is the possible flaking more of a mileage concern or a time-issue?

thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
It's not that difficult, so it wouldn't hurt to inspect. I doubt you'll have problems though. The 996's werent as hard on rockers as the higher revving 748's. Plus, yours is very low mileage. You can also take a good look at the oil when you change it.

My guess is you'll be fine.

#4 ·
Check rockers as soon as is reasonable. If you find a loose clearance you might forestall this issue on that rocker. Ajust clearances to the tight side on the closers.

#5 ·
since it has just over 2,000 miles on it, should I bother checking for flaking rocker arms this winter or wait a little later?

is the possible flaking more of a mileage concern or a time-issue?

thanks in advance guys.
Depends on how much time you have to kill this winter. :)

Seriously, at those low miles, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it. Check the valves, and if one is out of spec, then you can pull the cams and investigate further.

#6 ·
Not sure on the validity of this as I have only had my 996s for a few months, but had the same question. 1999 with 4,00 miles and also as new condition.

A Ducati shop mechanic told me last week (this was in Canada) that the 748's were more known for this from the higher revving and sometimes being rev'd before being properly warmed up. Said they have not seen much at all on the liter size motors due to lower rev.

Again, not 100% sure this is legit but from a reputable Duc shop.

#7 ·
Personally I'd check them as soon as you can. I trust no logic, experience, dealers receipts, general guidelines etc for a new pruchase.

With a science background conducting experiments, I'd set an actual value on the present condition once assessed and go from there.

My advice.

R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.