Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a long story but I just pieced my 750SS back together and am having electrical problems. The bike runs but I have no headlight, horn, turn signals or neutral light. The rear light and brake light works and the speedo and rev counter background lights come on.
Its weird and I can only guess there's a short or something in the wiring harness. I've checked all the fuses and they are OK.
Any suggestions welcome!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would first see if there is a common connector or shared ground that may be the problem. You can try following one of the nonworking circuits back to the source to see where power is lost. If you have a manual with an electrical diagram, it may lead you to the the connection they have in common.

Good luck.

·
Excel Addict
5,085 Posts
Electrical problem

Looking at the wiring diagram, all these functions are controlled by the left hand switch assembly. Try unplugging the connector to it and plugging it back in in case it is a dirty contact.

Throughout this process have a look at the connector pins as I assume you have put the bike back together. It could be as simple as a pent pin in a connector not locating properly.

After this it is a process of tracing back to where the voltage stops, using a voltmeter or multimeter set on DC volts and the 20V range. Al this is done with the key in the On position. This will tell you which section of the cabling is faulty. It could be a broken cable, crap crimping of the cable to the terminal or even corrosion.

The power to this LH switch assembly is the orange wire from the key switch (pin 2). If you have a multimeter, unplug this LH connector and check to see if there is 12V between the orange wire (pin E) from the key switch and battery negative.

If not, check for 12V back at pin 2 of the key switch assemby. As you have the rear light etc. this means that there should be 12V at pin 5 yellow wire to the switch assembly which is connected to pin 2 when the key is on. If you have power at 5, but not 2, then the switch is stuffed. If no power at pin 5, post a reply and I will provide info on tracing that section. I think this is unlikely as you have other lights.

If you have voltage at key switch pin 2, there is yet another connector between the key switch and the LH switch assembly that may be the problem. This has about 22 wires going into it. Not sure where it is located but just follow the cable cluster from the key switch assembly to find it. Test the voltage on both sides of the connector (orange wire) to see if you have voltage. If 12V on the key side, but not the other, then check the cable/terminal for a bad connection, corrosion etc.

Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts