Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
You know, I never thought it would be an issue, but being consistantly raped by my dealer has been the worst part of owning a Ducati. You'd hope that when you buy a Ducati you wouldn't have to be "watching" your dealer like we have to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Dealer told me about it but forgot to do the paperwork on it when I purchased my 1198 a few weeks ago. So I called him today and he said come in and fill it out. So I did. Still waiting on the email from Ducati about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My dealer called me to let me know the bike I had already purchased this year qualified for the program when it came out. Had all the paperwork ready for me when I came in - He's already performed one service free of charge. I highly recommend Renaissance Motorsports in Tucson.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My dealer offered it up like I was getting a deal by getting the first service free. Although they did give me $1300 of the price of the bike.

I can't see how you could get the second service free because 7500 miles in a year is alot.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My dealer offered it up like I was getting a deal by getting the first service free. Although they did give me $1300 of the price of the bike.

I can't see how you could get the second service free because 7500 miles in a year is alot.
I guess some ride more then others then :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't see why they would try to hide it. They will get paid for the service by Ducati just like they do for warranty work,

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I don't see why they would try to hide it. They will get paid for the service by Ducati just like they do for warranty work,
Exactly. Hell, it is probably to their advantage. How many owners don't come back to the dealer to get the service. They are guaranteeing themselves money by saying it. Who wouldn't take advantage of this deal!?!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bought my bike from BH Ducati and thought I'd throw PI some buisness since it was closer to me and take it there for the free service. PI wasn't really interested in verifying if BH did the paperwork, even though BH said they did. So I called BH and they said they would do the service no problem if it was purchased on the right dates, and handle the paperwork themselves afterwards. So no buisness for PI.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The dealer will get paid for peforming the service by the factory. The factory will pay a flat rate, based on the time they allow to perform any work, at an hourly rate they set.

It will be a fraction of the amount most dealers charge their customers - which is why the dealers are not enthusiasticly talking up the free service.

Same answer as to why PI wasn't all giggly and happy to perform the "free service" on a bike sold at BH.

It would be interesting if someone knows what the flat rate allowed by Ducati to dealers for a 6,000 mile service.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I did talk to PI, I asked if they did get paid for the service. I didn't want to make PI do the service if they didn't get paid. I didn't tell them where I bought the bike just not there. I was curious why they wouldn't do the check , and after a little more questioning he mentioned they got about 1/3 of what they would charge. Not sure if that is true but that's what he said. 1/3 is probably what they should really charge anyway. If they did I think they would have a lot more people heading over to their dealers to have work done. Oh well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased my bike on June 9th and the dealer didn't mention anything.

I just had my first service done on Thursday...at a cost of $225. There will be a call to the owner on Monday morning.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah no matter what you always have to do yoru homework - I knew more than the dealer did when I got my DUC and had them throw in the extended warranty from Ducati before I would purchase - so I am covered that way at least for 6 years... as far as the maintance - if it becomes to much a PIA then I will sell my DUC but for now I am enjoying every minute of her. Just like buying cars now - good luck being the shade tree mechanic like it used to be - so it is what it is...

·
Still needs a life.
12,591 Posts

It depends on the bike and your riding style. For an ST, 7,500 miles a year is not uncommon; especially in those areas where you can ride year around. I put 16,500 miles on my ST4s in 2008. That kind of mileage may be more difficult for someone riding a Superbike in an area with real winters

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I think there is a lot of wisdom in Ducati making this offer. First off, of course, is that it'll help 'em sell bikes. Fear of high maintenance has kept more than a few riders off the marque. But another good reason is that it will help defuse the bugaboo "does my bike really require that? The manual says it only needs..." issue.

With Ducati picking up the cost the dealer can't fudge what the bike requires. And now if it is not running as an owner thinks it ought to the dealer won't be able to say "well, you didn't allow me to do so and so!"

Of course that latter is at least in part why some dealers may be less than enthralled with the arrangement. The markup on a bike isn't all that great. The real money is to be made in service. Adding on to the list of "necessary things" can add greatly to the dealer's bottom line.

-don

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I think there is a lot of wisdom in Ducati making this offer. First off, of course, is that it'll help 'em sell bikes. Fear of high maintenance has kept more than a few riders off the marque. But another good reason is that it will help defuse the bugaboo "does my bike really require that? The manual says it only needs..." issue.

With Ducati picking up the cost the dealer can't fudge what the bike requires. And now if it is not running as an owner thinks it ought to the dealer won't be able to say "well, you didn't allow me to do so and so!"

Of course that latter is at least in part why some dealers may be less than enthralled with the arrangement. The markup on a bike isn't all that great. The real money is to be made in service. Adding on to the list of "necessary things" can add greatly to the dealer's bottom line.

-don

+1000, Don hit it on the head.

As a dealer and one that's been on this forum a long time and I see this alot, so see what I say as help.

The free service only applies to '08-'09 models. Do NOT go in thinking you will get it with your StreetFighter or Nicky Hayden. Ain't Gonna Happen. Ducati didn't "forget" anything, talk to your dealership about it, as Ducati has it plastered all over the place. My store has posters, desk ads, online, and then some. I always bring it up to my customers.

The truth of it is simple, the more Ducati can give to the customer(especially free service), it does two things:

1. Dispells the myth about high costs of maintenance. I must say, there are some expensive shops out there though. We are not cheap, but our location dictates our costs, like most other shops, though we are not the most expensive either. We are also a BMW Dealership so this may also have some impact on our cost per hour.

2. Openly shows that the bikes are a great value, giving you more for the price. As Don said, there is not a big markup in these bikes, do the economics of a low production, semi-handmade bike, being shipped from another Country. That being said; no, the cost of the maintenance does not come out of the Dealer, it is a warranty item, thus paid by Ducati. Regarding the comment on the 7500 miles, the service is based on the 600 miles(or 6 months, whichever is first) and the 1 year(11 to 13 months actually). IF you do 7500 miles in the time frame, you will get the 7500 miles service also.

As stated earlier in the thread, do your homework on the program AND your Dealer. This will make you much wiser as you walk through the door. Good luck.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I went back to the Ducati web site and more carefully read the details. They are, to put it mildly, interesting.

Here is a swipe about what is included in the first free service:

What items are included in the services?
Service 1 includes the following maintenance operations:

* Change engine oil
* Change engine oil filter
* Check brake and clutch oil level
* Check chain tension, alignment and lubrication
* Check brake pads. Replace as needed
* Road test motorcycle

Ok, that's straight forward and right in harmony with several threads on what is (and is not) required for the 1st service.

But I expect that more than a few of us will be surprised at what constitutes the 2nd service. Again, here is a swipe:

Service 2 includes the following maintenance operations:

* Change engine oil
* Change engine oil filter
* Check brake and clutch oil level
* Brake and clutch controls check and adjustment
* Check and lubricate starter/accelerator controls
* Tire pressure and wear check
* Check chain tension, alignment and lubrication
* Check brake pads. Replace as needed
* Check warning and instrument lighting
* Check and tighten engine to frame mounting nuts
* Check side stand
* Check front wheel tightening nut
* Check rear wheel tightening nut
* Check external fuel line
* Check front fork oil and rear shock absorber for leaks
* Check front sprocket
* Lubrication and greasing at all required points
* Check battery and charging system
* Road test motorcycle
* General cleaning
* Check coolant level (4 valve models only)
* Check power fans and cooling circuit seals (4 valve models only)
* Change fuel filter (S4RS and S4R models only)

This is monkey business. Well, smart monkey business anyhow. Why would any motohead feel the need to pay big bucks for what is above? Is there anything else? Yes. If one's bike odometer reads 7500 miles within thirty days of the 1 yr free service interval they will "inspect" the valve clearances. No mention of adjusting them. To wit:

Note: The second service should be performed no later than 12 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. If you reach 7,500 miles within the first year you are also eligible for Service A (valve inspection) to be done in conjunction with the 2nd Service. See your owners manual for complete details.​

Hmmm.

-don

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Dealer told me about it but forgot to do the paperwork on it when I purchased my 1198 a few weeks ago. So I called him today and he said come in and fill it out. So I did. Still waiting on the email from Ducati about it.
I Didn't get any e-mail, I just brought in my bike and they did the service for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts