California Superbike School - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

California Superbike School

Hi guys, looking to do CSS here in Aus at Phillip Island.
What I would like to ask is should I take the Hyper along or hire the GSXR 600's that they supply?
I would be interested in hearing from those that have tracked their Hyper, something I am yet to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:50 pm

good ask. My mate went with his RC8r to the island and said it was scary fast. he was (so he said) pulling 280kph on the straight.

If you were going for level 1 the hyper is prob ok as i don't think its that fast a pace but if you are quick and want to fang it get the 600. you'll spend a long time maxed out on the straight on the hyper, in the wind getting a sore neck raping the engine on the rev limit. (if thats your thing!)

make sure you crank on the rear preload a few turns too to get ~25mm rider sag (unless your heavy) and then you should not have scraping issues. good tires are also a must at the island if going hardish, those corners are long and quick so street rubber will suffer if its hot. some dulop sportmax or pirelli supercora sp's

all that in, I'd rent the 600 and not worry about binning it, taking the bike to the track, cleaing it, buying tyres etc etc.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:20 am

Lots of guys Track Day their Hypers regularly. I've had great fun out at Infineon
on mine. I'd say renting a track bike for the day is like insurance... it will
cost you but you won't have to worry about your own bike. I would think
after the school you would be very interested in trying the Hyper at a track
day... but you may want to try it now instead of renting.

It will be expensive if you crash a Hyper... might want to get some frame sliders.
With the wide bars, these bikes tend to slide on the handlebar ends and
on the footpegs, as long as the handlebar doesn't break.
Substituting metal or nylon bar ends for the expensive handguard/mirror assemblies
is not a bad idea... mirrors aren't allowed anyway.

Also, if you really want to do serious cornering, raised pegs or rear sets are essential,
otherwise cornering clearance is pretty limited (you might already have done this?...).

I would say, concentrate on technique rather than speed, and you should not
have issues with tossing the bike. Although a crash is always a possibility,
most of the time it happens because guys ride over their heads, get too competitive
with other riders, or forget to just relax and stay focused. Better to just pull
off into the pits for a breather if you're feeling too pumped up or adrenaline-
soaked, than to continue lapping. I learned this from dicing with pro-level
guys on my shifter kart... sometimes it is good to stop and re-focus after a
few very hot laps. Track days and track schools should be about having fun
and practicing your skills, not competing. I'm sure the Superbike School will
have a lot to say about keeping safe distances, and no inside passes (or even
passing in corners). Following an instructor and then having him follow you
is a good way to learn... they will chat with you after each session.

Ideally, the HM is best on tighter tracks with shorter straights... which is why
my home track at Infineon/Sonoma is perfect (the motorcycle config here
shortens the straights and includes all the tightest corners). Very long
straights might be a bit awkward on a bike with no fairing and low top gearing
(like the Hyper), which is one reason to consider the Gixxer at Phillip Island.

'08 Hyper "S" w/ a few tweaks
'05 Yammie WR-Supermoto conversion

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 7:45 am

I did two CSS days on their bike before I took the Hyper to the track. I'm happy with my decision, it let me not worry about damaging my bike and concentrate on learning what they teach.

The damage limit this year went up to $1250 from $750 last year, new bike this year BMW S1000RR replaces the ZX6R. That said it's still less to worry about than dropping your bike.

As stated above different types of tracks fit the Hyper better than others. I took my bike to a track that suits the HM well and it was a blast. On the wrong track it would be frustrating at best.

Any way you go enjoy the school.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:34 am

Garage
Tom,

Did they completely replace the Kawis with the BMW or is the BMW an option?

CT

__________________________________________________ ______
if you need to know... ask...

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTarna View Post
Tom,

Did they completely replace the Kawis with the BMW or is the BMW an option?

CT
I think they did move to all BMW but I didn't ask that question specifically. The only bike available at NJMP is the BMW according to the person that I spoke with. I'm not sure why they moved to a 193hp bike but I'll ask when I go to the school. I was quite happy with the Kawi, not to mention the liability changed from $750 to $1250.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:26 pm
Bly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroHM View Post
good ask. My mate went with his RC8r to the island and said it was scary fast. he was (so he said) pulling 280kph on the straight.

If you were going for level 1 the hyper is prob ok as i don't think its that fast a pace but if you are quick and want to fang it get the 600. you'll spend a long time maxed out on the straight on the hyper, in the wind getting a sore neck raping the engine on the rev limit. (if thats your thing!)

make sure you crank on the rear preload a few turns too to get ~25mm rider sag (unless your heavy) and then you should not have scraping issues. good tires are also a must at the island if going hardish, those corners are long and quick so street rubber will suffer if its hot. some dulop sportmax or pirelli supercora sp's

all that in, I'd rent the 600 and not worry about binning it, taking the bike to the track, cleaing it, buying tyres etc etc.
How does he know he was doing 280? They tape your speedo up.

Multistrada 1100, sans fairing.
Black SFS.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSport View Post
I think they did move to all BMW but I didn't ask that question specifically. The only bike available at NJMP is the BMW according to the person that I spoke with. I'm not sure why they moved to a 193hp bike but I'll ask when I go to the school. I was quite happy with the Kawi, not to mention the liability changed from $750 to $1250.
CSS moved to S 1000 RR as the only option for 2010. My guess is that Kawasaki is hurting and BMW made Keith an offer he couldn't refuse. What better place to test ride a bike that at a track school?!!

Successful and unsuccessful people do not vary greatly in their abilities. They vary in their desires to reach their potential.

John Maxwell
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
CSS moved to S 1000 RR as the only option for 2010. My guess is that Kawasaki is hurting and BMW made Keith an offer he couldn't refuse. What better place to test ride a bike that at a track school?!!
I'm signed up to use the BMW, as you said what better place... but I really think the Hyper is a great option for Thunderbolt so I'm torn between the two bikes. Oh well I'm sure my lack of action will leave my reservation for the school on their bike intact.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSport View Post
I'm signed up to use the BMW, as you said what better place... but I really think the Hyper is a great option for Thunderbolt so I'm torn between the two bikes. Oh well I'm sure my lack of action will leave my reservation for the school on their bike intact.
I also also signed up but I will probably use the RC. However, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (wife unit) and the Chair of the Council for Economic Advisers (daughter) said I can buy a new bike in 2011. And I am thinking it's the Bimmer! I may use CSS' S1000RR to get a glimpse at my future.

Successful and unsuccessful people do not vary greatly in their abilities. They vary in their desires to reach their potential.

John Maxwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode