powder coated 1100s controls - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 4 Post By Shawn of the Dead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage
powder coated 1100s controls

There should be a thumbnail. If I failed at pic posting please delete the post mods.

I had these powder coated while doing a refresh on my hyper.

Came out pretty good. The pegs still seem to be grippy which was my main concern. One passenger mount and peg was well rashed ...they took that out when they prepped em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57724471453__C67D17FC-BBBD-463B-8F57-427D767248C0.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	945277  
Austen, soko, Invisable and 1 others like this.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

Nothing like a fresh set of powder coated parts! Good job!

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l Antigravity Battery l 190/55 Rear l
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn of the Dead View Post
There should be a thumbnail. If I failed at pic posting please delete the post mods.

I had these powder coated while doing a refresh on my hyper.

Came out pretty good. The pegs still seem to be grippy which was my main concern. One passenger mount and peg was well rashed ...they took that out when they prepped em.
Looking good Funny coincidence that I yesterday cleaned mine with solvent and I`m taking them to get coated tomorrow. They are silver and black looks better in my bike. Do you happen to remember how shiny is your coating (grade/percent) ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vklnuppi View Post
Looking good Funny coincidence that I yesterday cleaned mine with solvent and I`m taking them to get coated tomorrow. They are silver and black looks better in my bike. Do you happen to remember how shiny is your coating (grade/percent) ?
It is similar to a polished stainless/aluminum. They didn't specify a grade/percent. They can Cerakote to an almost chrome finish but it is much more expensive as it requires a few more steps.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:05 pm

One thing I don't like about powder coating is that if the finish becomes damaged or scratched or everwhat, it's difficult to repair. The part must either be completely stripped of powdercoating, which involves using a propane torch, bead blasting, and then recoating the part again.

I built roughly 500 audio processors that were powdercoated in one of three different colors. So I've ~some~ experience with the process.

When my wife and I refinished the wheels for her 1982 Yamaha XJ650J I worked out a refinishing method that did not involve powdercoating. The nice thing about that was if either wheel's finish were damaged, it was a simple matter to repair the damage. If they were powdercoated, the tires would need to be removed, as would all of the wheel bearings, wheel weights, and valve stem ... and only then the torching/bead blasting/powdercoating could be done. Then the bearings would be reinstalled, tire remounted, and the assembly rebalanced. Fooey on all of that!

So I'm pretty particular about what gets powdercoated and what gets finished in another way.

Aside from my silly opinions, Member *Shawn of the Dead your parts look super nice!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5561.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	945625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5569.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	945627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5579.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	945629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5559.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	945631  

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. .....yer mom
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn of the Dead View Post
It is similar to a polished stainless/aluminum. They didn't specify a grade/percent. They can Cerakote to an almost chrome finish but it is much more expensive as it requires a few more steps.
My fault. They looked black in little picture on phone screen But still looking good and it`s maybe better I didn`t realise true color of your parts yesterday...i might would have wanted same
I dropped my parts to powder coating this morning and went with black color. I said that no need to hurry, but obviously they don`t have big projects going on now because parts should be ready friday.
I really hope they do good job and everything goes without surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
One thing I don't like about powder coating is that if the finish becomes damaged or scratched or everwhat, it's difficult to repair. The part must either be completely stripped of powdercoating, which involves using a propane torch, bead blasting, and then recoating the part again.
I agree with you and my first choice would have been anodizing. I didn`t find any company in Finland that would do hard anodizing (or even normal) to private customers. I understand that because unique/invidual items, small amount, small profit etc.

Everybody recommended powder coating so i decided to go that way. If it turns out bad idea after couple years, I just blast them clean and paint them with spray gun myself.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I went with powder coating since I didn't want to lay out the loot for new controls and passenger pegs.

A word to the wise .... make sure and check all the fitment of pins and fasteners prior to install. My guys either poorly plugged or failed to plug some of the holes. It was a real bear to get some of the items installed. Mostly the passenger pegs.

If it doesn't hold up I will probably go aftermarket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode