Changing the 2019 Hypermotard's rear tire - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By 1198SP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Changing the 2019 Hypermotard's rear tire

Saw the cords on my rear tire at 1900 miles, so it was time for new rubber.

You will need a 46mm socket to remove the rear wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used my no-mar tire changer to easily remove the old tire and put on a new Dunlop Q3+

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tub...3-tire/p/57138

This is the first time I ever changed the tire on this bike or on a single sided swingarm bike. Cool that there are no bearings on the rear wheel hub.

I have some questions for those experienced with this job.

How do you use a standard wheel balancer with this wheel? The Tusk stand I use does not have cones large enogh to fit the very large wheel hub opening on the hyper's wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Motorcyc.../dp/B003QT26D6

I had a real hard time seating the bead of these tires on this wheel. Ended up having to spray some food grade dry silicon on a small section of the bead to finally get it to pop into place, and that was with 60psi! The no mar lube was not enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 7:41 am Thread Starter

Found this thread: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hype...ng-wheels.html

Large cones needed for balancing.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Lar...largecones.htm

$ 50 for a set of large rear cones from Marc Parnes

http://www.marcparnes.com/Ducati_Mot...ancer.htm#DU42

I am kind of inclined to just not bothering to balance the rear wheel at all. I know many don't balance the rear wheel with no noticeable effect.

Last edited by Pard; May 21st, 2019 at 7:50 am.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 6:59 am

Garage
I skipped balancing the rear wheel with the last set of tires that I put on, BIG MISTAKE!!! It was fine around town and up to about 65mph, then it started to vibrate a little bit, and by the time I reached 80mph it felt like the rear end was actually hopping off the ground. I tool the wheel off and had it balanced at my local shop (electronic balancer) and it only took 1/2oz, but the result was a silky smooth ride.

I just replaced the tires again last weekend, and stopped on the way home to get them balanced this time...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless_Kelly View Post
I skipped balancing the rear wheel with the last set of tires that I put on, BIG MISTAKE!!! It was fine around town and up to about 65mph, then it started to vibrate a little bit, and by the time I reached 80mph it felt like the rear end was actually hopping off the ground. I tool the wheel off and had it balanced at my local shop (electronic balancer) and it only took 1/2oz, but the result was a silky smooth ride.

I just replaced the tires again last weekend, and stopped on the way home to get them balanced this time...
Interesting. I tested the unbalanced new tire and rear wheel up to triple digits and it felt fine. I may have just gotten lucky this time.

I did, however, order the large cones from Marc Parnes products for the next tire change.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:39 am

Garage
Damn, wish I would've known about that website before I purchased the large cones from No-Mar.....$97...doh

The tires on both of my bikes and my car all came due at the same time and the local places wanted $100 a set just to install the tires on the rims so, I decided to buy the stuff and do it myself. I have to say, it was WAY easier than I expected it to be, even with the giant 240 on my Diavel.

I highly recommend getting 2 sets of rim protectors - cheap protection and they work great.

Pard likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
Interesting. I tested the unbalanced new tire and rear wheel up to triple digits and it felt fine. I may have just gotten lucky this time.

I did, however, order the large cones from Marc Parnes products for the next tire change.

What part number did your order from parnes? Have you tested them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
What part number did your order from parnes? Have you tested them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad you asked, I should have updated the thread.

Not sure what product number. Marc contacted me after I placed the order to verify what size balancing shaft I had, and it turns out mine would not work with his cones.

Give Marc a call before ordering. I ended up going with a set that works for both front and rear wheels and purchased a thicker balancing shaft. Came to a total of $70 for cones and shaft.

I used them to balance the front wheels and they work fine. Did not try them on the rear yet as that has been mounted prior to their arrival. Picture of the set attached with a 46mm socket used to remove rear wheel nut for reference of size.

Are you certain your balancer has a .500" shaft? I don't think so. Every other Chinese Tusk I've encountered is 12 mm and I'm pretty certain that one is, too. Call me if you get a moment. If you need a shaft I can send it with the cones. Just need to know how long to make it. 14" usually works. Also, be sure to move the uprights to their narrowest position as the wide position will cause the shaft to flex under the weight of the wheel.

I will hold your order till I hear from you.

Thanks,
Marc

[email protected]
Motorcycle Wheel Balancer
714.842.8238 Shop
714.6556074 Mobile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	685.3 KB
ID:	944577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	944579   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear wheel.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	944581  

Last edited by Pard; May 30th, 2019 at 5:40 pm.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

@Dolemite , glad you asked your question. I looks like I was sent two identical cones instead of one being larger than the other at max diameter which will be required for the rear wheel. Contacted Marc Parnes and he will be sending me the correct larger cone.

If you go this route, make sure you call or email him first to make sure you get the right ones you need. Nice product, and very responsive customer service, highly recommend him as a vendor.

Last edited by Pard; May 30th, 2019 at 6:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode