Velocity Stacks Cleaning - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 1:26 am Thread Starter

Been doing a ton of maintenance as of lately.

Got around to lifting up the tank and taking out the K&N filters for a good cleaning tonight (Needed it BADLY!). Got the Corse Dynamics Stack kit from Motowheels.

Noticed the filter closest to the front wheel had a few bends in the filter. Shouldn't affect any performance..right? Also the intake manifold for that filter was very dirty, lots of oily grime...the top was clean as a whistle.

The bigger concern I had was with the smaller K&N filters. The bigger one connects to the crankcase breather hose and the smaller is the idle air filter. You can see in the picture it's pretty oily and dirty around the filters and bracket. Gonna clean the area out tomorrow.

I took off both clamps on the filters in hopes of cleaning...but they are on super tight. Not even sure if I could get them off by taking out the entire bracket. Although I haven’t fully yanked on them yet...

Do those small filters even need to be cleaned? Or will they just get oiled up and dirty again?

I haven't cleaned any of my stack filters since I installed them about 6 years ago. But I've only put on about 3-4K miles since then.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated...thanks.

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO

2010 Hypermotard 796 (Sold)

Last edited by soko; May 21st, 2019 at 1:46 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 1:51 pm

Garage
I serviced all my hyper filters this winter. I have the same set up minus the bracket.I have some KnN spray on cleaner so I liberally drench them with that and then wash the crap out of them in a bucket filled with hot soapy water.

I let them dry for a few days and re oil and reinstall. If you need to reinstall right away I would blow them out with compressed air or a leaf blower or something. Probably wouldn't hurt being wet but I don't like the idea.

My idle air filter as well as the crank vent were not difficult to remove at all.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I ended up just taking off the bracket and cleaned both the small filters. Oiled up all the filters, let them dry and installed everything back.

Everything went back together smoothly EXCEPT I took her out for a ride today and it ran like crap.

Right off the bat....I could feel the throttle response was out of whack. The engine was not idling like usual after warm-up and it was it felt like the bike had 50% of the power/acceleration as normal. I also felt like it wasn't as loud as normal either. The engine died 3 times when holding in the clutch coasting to a stop. Which never happens after its warmed-up.

I came home and tore her apart...all the wires were connected. Nothing looked out of sort. I was first thinking maybe I over-oiled the air filter but both intakes were dry. I also wiped both filters with paper towels until no oil was coming off and installed them and let them dry overnight.

Doing a small amount of research...I read I could have messed up the Air Temperature sensor?

Yesterday I did clean the intakes with some rubbing alcohol and non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Spraying paper towels and then wiping what I could of the intakes.

I just went and got some Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner, took off the intake hose and sprayed the sensor. Put it back together and still same problem.

Let me know what you think.

Thank You

Last edited by soko; May 22nd, 2019 at 8:02 pm.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 7:05 am

Garage
Its a good possibility that during the process of pulling everything apart and reassembly, it threw off the TPS. May need to do a reset.

You also mention the addition of a Corsa stack kit. Was that just done or were they already installed on the bike? The upgraded stacks allow quite a bit more air in so you may be running super lean if you did the stack upgrade with no tune.

Just some idears for ya

2010 Hyper 796 w/ dual shorty Arrows, Rapidbike Evo & MWR Intake, 2004 XR250R, 2008 CRF150R-SM, 2005 TTR88SMR
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperJB View Post
Its a good possibility that during the process of pulling everything apart and reassembly, it threw off the TPS. May need to do a reset.

You also mention the addition of a Corsa stack kit. Was that just done or were they already installed on the bike? The upgraded stacks allow quite a bit more air in so you may be running super lean if you did the stack upgrade with no tune.

Just some idears for ya
I installed the stacks maybe 5 years ago with a full exhaust and PCV, dyno'd and tuned. The bike was running great before I decided to clean the filters.

I'm thinking when I was cleaning the intakes with a towel I may have hit the Air Temperature Sensor and maybe damaged it?? But I'm not sure if that's possible...because my symptoms sound a lot like a damaged or dirty MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor in a car. I just don't know if an Air Temperature Sensor behaves like a MAF when dirty/damaged.

I'll have to do some research on a TPS reset...I've never done it. If anything the dealer did when they tuned the bike.

Gonna keep looking for leaks and try it again

Thanks

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 4:11 pm
Prolific Poster Award

There’s a chance you fouled the plugs with over oiled air filters.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

After cleaning and oiling my pod filters last year my hyper didn't seem as snappy as usual, cleared up after a couple tanks of gas, I chalked it up to over oiling?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Garage
Keep us updated. Mine never did anything like you have described despite doing almost the exact same thing (service wise). I can't really help with resetting the TPS as I have never had to do that. I do have an electronic copy of the service manual. If you want I can check out the procedure and list the steps.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 9:20 am

The 10-12 Evo bikes have Siemens ecu which adjust TPS every start if you don't touch the throttle during startup.

Go back and look for a loose or disconnected hose, remove the oil from the filters, check the plugs/plug wire connections and try again. Over oiling is pretty common.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
There’s a chance you fouled the plugs with over oiled air filters.
UPDATE:

I didn't even think to check the plugs and YUP...they were fouled. So thank you duc96cr for the much needed reminder.

So I took off the all the filters and washed them again and let them dry for over 24hrs. This time I didn't oil them just to see what would happen. Took it for a ride the following day and the bike was somewhat normal again (alot better anyways)...the only issue I'm having now is the bike WILL NOT idle. (But more on that in a second.)

But I believe I didn't let the pods dry long enough before spraying oil on them. I let them dry for maybe 5 hours, used compressed air and a hair dryer and then 1 coat of oil and I thought I was good to go. So lesson learned on that one.

So with the bike running somewhat normal compared to before...the only underlying issue now is the bike won't idle at all without throttle. Now before I decided to clean the pods the bike would also need some throttle to warm-up and keep idle but the difference is once the bike was warmed up...it would idle perfectly and never stall just w/a cold engine. Fast forward to now and even after doing some light riding around town for 30-45mins the engine dies anytime I let it idle.

So I just got back from a short ride of testing around town and decided to pull out the air idle hose to check for leaks. Didn't find any. Checked the breather hose and saw a hose dangling in front of the vertical cylinder.

Traced it and it was 1 of 2 skinny hoses that connect from the pressure sensor module to a nipple on both intake manifolds. The loose hose was ripped so unfortunately, I have to get a new one. I'm not sure how long it's been unplugged. But it's very possible it may have been barely hanging on and then when I was taking off the pods I ripped it off which might explain why it had a rough idle before cleaning compared to having no idle after.

Not sure what that hose even does but I'd imagine it's pretty important to the A/F ratio. I might try and tape it back on to see what happens while I wait for the dealer to open in a few days. But that's where I'm at now. I want to thanks all of you guys for your input so far. Thank You

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode