Rear Integrated Brake/Signal not Integrating....Hyper 1100S - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Rear Integrated Brake/Signal not Integrating....Hyper 1100S

The bike is a 2009 Hyper 1100S. I did the 22K service this winter (aside from a few small things) so I am fairly handy. I know about the special menu to change the settings.

Where I was: Cheapo "Integrated tail light. Run/brake worked. Fast front flash rate...indicators on dash worked. The fronts are Oberon performance signals that are visible from the front and rear. Rear unit up and quit working. Had same item a few years ago and everything worked with no equalizers. It up and dies and new item is as described above. I didn't care so just unhooked the flashers in the back as they didn't work. Fast forward to below.

Where I'm at: To start with...I care a little more now LOL. I have a generic (similar or same as above) integrated rear turn signal/brake combo. I am running Oberon Performance bar end signals still. The brake/run light works fine. When I hit the signal I have a normal flash rate in the front. The corresponding side of the taillight lights amber but does not flash.

What I have done: Everything....or almost. I have run load equalizers of multiple resistance levels and have got nowhere. 1 Sylvania 6 ohm resistor per side. 2 per side. A signal dynamics "back off" equalizer. The equalizers that came with the brake light. The Back off with a Sylvania per side. Every flash pattern and rate you can imagine has happened. Dash showing and not showing. Left front with right rear light(but not flashing). Total amber in rear with one flashing red. More combos of crazy flashing that I cant remember. Laughable as I am mostly guessing. I've wired up LEDs to my Harley and it was a piece of cake.

Trial and error has failed miserably. Changing from LED to lamp in the special menu only changes it to a different type of chaos. I am (somewhat) content to run a normal rate in the front and have no flash in the back. The side lights up properly but doesn't flash. Riding season is here and I have other scoots to work on. At least that is an improvement over the last few years.

If anyone can point me to a thread or offer advice I would appreciate it. I have searched and followed some of the advice therein so don't flame me. I'm old and tired AF and can't type for shit so it took me a while to type this all out LOL. Yes I could have bought a more expensive taillight or had a pro do it...I like to work on them even when they make me cuss.

If you suggest I spend more money on high end lighting I will give you a detailed list of all the bike related crap I blow loot on, I'm surprised I can afford gas and food.

If your still with me ask any questions and I will try and answer them. Thanks in advance

Ciao

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 6:24 am

Your best bet is to use a pair of 4-pin relays (one per side), if you connect the input side of the relay across the original turn signals (the illustration should show a green and white wire for the original turn signal wires, essentially just put the relay where the bulb would originally be) and then connect the integrated turn signal wire to the battery via the switching side of the relay (I had to connect it to the positive terminal of the battery iirc on my 796 but I think the non-Evo 1100's might be different). Here's a dodgy illustration of the setup for one side:

The 796/1100 Evo uses a different wiring pinout for the main rear light connector (due to the updated dash which houses the relays etc) so mine was even more fucked up and I had to swich around the 3 main wires too but your brake light/running light is already working so you won't need to worry about that. I actually managed to get a 50% refund on the tail light as I complained that it wasn't working correctly, here was the video showing my issues that I submitted back then:

Last edited by Neeps; May 23rd, 2019 at 6:30 am.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply Neeps. What is weird is that after I decided to just go with it I buttoned it all up and used some waterproof connectors. Now I have a fast rate with an indicator on the dash and the correct side of the taillight illuminated but not flashing.

I may try your 4 pin relay set up. I don't think there is a resistor that will work for me.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode