More Air = More Power - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Well, there ya go. If it makes any difference it won’t be much. I contend you agreed with me even though you didn’t want to. I didn’t put the pods on, he did. I was just saying that since there were pods there already you weren’t doing any harm letting a little cooler air in under the tank. May improve air circulation under there.
For the record..never thought I'd feel any difference as far as power lol. Probably shouldn't have put such a sarcastic thread topic.

duc96cr...That's exactly what I was thinking...maybe get some cool air and improve air circulation. Initially, I was just curious as to why there was only one hole in the headlight housing and thought why not drill another one on the opposite side? But wanted to make sure there weren't some intricate Ducati engineering concepts at play here to explain only one hole and not two. But sounds like it couldn't hurt putting two.

And I got the Corse Dynamics stacks...which don't attach directly to the throttle bodies.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions!

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO

2010 Hypermotard 796 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
The link below uses an XR1200 to demonstrate that shorter air inlets increases peak power and longer inlet increases peak torque and shifts it toward lower RPMs.

XR1200 Intake - The Effect of Different Length Velocity Stacks

I thought split FCRs are popular among our race-spec bikes because of the overall shortened inlet tract + blue velocity stacks (short) which increases peak power, and racked FCRs maintain the long, OEM runner length thus providing more torque which is useful for road riding.
there's another page to that with some photos of the setup, which makes it more interesting (if i'm reading it right). good find samadhi.

XR1200 Intake and Velocity Tubes

here you can see that the bend he is talking about that makes a difference compared to the modified airbox is the white plastic 90 degree bend that is stuck onto the throttle body inlet. without anything on the throttle body (shortest) it makes less hp that with the modified airbox, probably 2hp on average across the range. with that bend fitted only (no airbox), it makes 5hp more peak and 3 - 5 through the range compared to the modified airbox, or 5 to 7 more than with no bend, just an open throttle body. so adding the first piece (an extra 4" of inlet length) helps it a lot all over. which is probably a similar shape and length to the rubber tube that goes between the oem hm1100 throttle body and airbox, and which soko has his corse dynamics stacks fitted into.

and then, from there out, it follows the generalisation that more length moves the power down the range. in reality, tube 4 would be the go for most people. it'd be significantly stronger in the midrange, and makes the same power as before at lower rpm, so good for the motor. and i think if he'd used tapering tubes as he went longer he'd have found less hp loss while keeping the torque gain.

surprising that he found that the radius on the entry made no difference. i would expect a good entry to make a difference, but it was possibly a case of access to and room to fit. putting a corse dynamics stack which soko has in there would make a difference i would expect, but in reality there's no room to fit it and the filter.

i think the first bit on a throttle body or carb is always handy. i added 100mm ram tubes to the phm40 carbs on a guzzi sport 1100 and it moved the torque peak down a touch, but didn't hurt hp or the rpm it was made at.
Old rider likes this.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode