2015 SP rear brake pedal limp after siting for 4 months - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

2015 SP rear brake pedal limp after siting for 4 months

I got my 2015 Hypermotard SP out of 4 months of winter storage and the rear brake pedal has gone flaccid and has excessive travel. Basically I have to push on it way down with my heel before any braking (weak) occurs. There is no sign of any fluid loss. No leaks and the reservoir is full of fluid. It does not build up pressure if the pedal is pumped repeatedly.

Any idea what could cause this and the fix? I was going to bleed it but is there a special procedure for bleeding the rear with ABS?

2015 Hypermotard SP

2013 Hyperstrada (sold), 2009 Hypermotard (sold), 2005 999 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Garage
The soggy rear brake comes standard on all Ducati's. I'd be happy to walk you through the procedure but in all honesty, it is one of the most commonly asked questions on every Ducati forum. Do a quick search on bleeding the rear brake and I'm sure you'll find more info on the topic thank you could ever desire
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 12:20 am Thread Starter

It wasn't just soggy, it required virtually the full master cylinder stroke before it would start to engage the brake. You could not push the pedal far enough with your foot still on the peg.

But oddly enough, I went back out tonight and it is working fine again. Brake engages with about 1-1.5" of travel. I'll leave it alone for now.

2015 Hypermotard SP

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 3:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer-Ted View Post
It wasn't just soggy, it required virtually the full master cylinder stroke before it would start to engage the brake. You could not push the pedal far enough with your foot still on the peg.

But oddly enough, I went back out tonight and it is working fine again. Brake engages with about 1-1.5" of travel. I'll leave it alone for now.

If it wasn't air in the system, what it may have been was the rubber piston seals around the caliper pistons which by virtue of design pull the calipers away from the disk after you release pressure on the pistons, simply drew the pads pretty far away from the disks.

This is not unheard of if the bike sits for a while. It can even happen overnight to some degree, but usually goes unnoticed.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/brake_calipers.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=PE7yFJ8ldVc

Last edited by Pard; May 9th, 2019 at 5:47 am.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 7:43 am
Prolific Poster Award

Iíd still bleed it. You donít want that happening when youíre riding.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Went ahead and bled the rear brakes and haven't had any issues since. Could anything in the ABS module have caused this?

2015 Hypermotard SP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode