Left hand rear brake control - Page 9 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post

Found this lever. Supposed to allow for a closer to the bar setting than stock. Hope it works!

Magura HC1/195 Close Reach Lever - Black Long [2701156] - $49.99 : The Sic Shop, Stunt Parts Store

Installed this lever from the Sic Shop. It is perfect. Allows for much greater range of distance from the bar for a perfect customized fit.

Without a doubt, this mod, the left hand rear brake is the greatest enhancement to motorcycle control I have ever come across. Fingertip control of rear brake should absolutely be something everyone should try.

So, which one of you is going to try this mod next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
Installed this lever from the Sic Shop. It is perfect. Allows for much greater range of distance from the bar for a perfect customized fit.

Without a doubt, this mod, the left hand rear brake is the greatest enhancement to motorcycle control I have even come across. Fingertip control of rear brake should absolutely be something everyone should try.

So, which one of you is going to try this mod next?
Me. Well, maybe not ~next~ however it's most certainly on the long-range list of things I want to employ. I am a believer of trail braking and using the rear brake to assist in cornering. When you're playing ~monkey~ in corners the right boot isn't always in a position to use the rear brake in a finely controlled manner. Right hand braking is something that has appealed to me for at least a solid three decades.

As has using a thumb throttle, akin to what ATV/Quads/ATCs use. But that is the subject of an entirely different thread.

Pard likes this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2019, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Looks fantastic! Great job!
Pard likes this.
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 12:27 am

... I'm diggin' on that thumb lever operated type by IMA. I like that it offers bar-mounted .. and/or .. fork mounted options for the actuator and the fact that the kit is mostly complete, sans hydraulic line (that must be fitted to each application, so they're not included in the kit).

LINK = IMA Thumb Brake - Superbike Source Pty Ltd

Considering it includes both foot operated master cylinder and thumb operated master cylinder, and they are designed to work with one another, there's a little more confidence in it's trustworthy operation. The multiple ways the thumb lever can be adjusted is another well thought through feature.

$499.00 is actually reasonable, all things considered.

I think if the thumb brake is mated with a slipper clutch those two working as an ensemble will actually entirely change the way one rides. Everything from body positioning, right and left foot position on their pegs while cornering, and overtaking in corners will be rethought and adapted to the new ways of controlling the bike the slipper clutch used with the thumb rear brake as a combined ensemble will offer.

Every bit as revolutionary as foot operated gear shifting with left hand clutch was when it was adopted.

I really do believe this.

Imagine how useful it would be on motocross bikes! You could drive into right hand berms every bit as hard as left hand berms since rear braking is no longer dependent on the right foot being on the footpeg to operate the rear brake in right hand turns. Same with being airborne ... foot position on the pegs will no longer be dictated by the need to lock up the rear wheel in mid air to control the bike's attitude in flight. That can be done with the right thumb instead, so foot placement on the footpegs can be focused on body weight distribution rather than being able to operate the rear brake in mid air.

All of these wins! So many wins! I'd bet money left hand rear brake systems will become standard equipment sooner than later.

Yup.
Pard likes this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Question for anyone in the know...

I think I want to have a brake light switch on the left hand rear brake master. The Magura comes with a switch currently not wired up.

Can I splice that switch in line, parallel, with the right hand front brake switch? I assume they will both work fine if either one is depressed, but what happens when both are depressed?

My assumption is that if either plunger switch completes the circuit, lighting up the brake lights, it won't matter if the other switch is on or off in a parallel circuit, the circuit is still complete if wither switch is triggered on, and the tail lights will illuminate.

I will try it out and test that theory, just fishing for info if you have experience.

Last edited by Pard; Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:00 am.
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 12:07 pm

If you use a banjo pressure switch instead of a banjo bolt on the line running to the caliper it will illuminate the rear light with the front master or the rear once it senses pressure. This method would help eliminate additional wiring up to the handlebars.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/561...4aAtjfEALw_wcB
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2019, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by araitim View Post
If you use a banjo pressure switch instead of a banjo bolt on the line running to the caliper it will illuminate the rear light with the front master or the rear once it senses pressure. This method would help eliminate additional wiring up to the handlebars.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/561...4aAtjfEALw_wcB
That is a good idea, but at this point, I am not interested in having to bleed the system again. The lever switch would be the least amount of fuss, assuming it works.
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2019, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Wired up the Magura brake light switch wires on the left with the Brembo light switch wires on the right in parallel, and they work as they should.

Took only a few minutes to solder it all up.
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2019, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Dovi uses a left hand thumb brake for cornering. Note the two reservoirs on his left bar. One for clutch, one for rear brake.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/ne...-brembo-brakes

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...ool-press-turn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two reservoirs.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	950257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode