HM 796 won't start after spirited ride. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2018, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

HM 796 won't start after spirited ride.

Hi guys. I'm struggling with my HM796. It's got 21k miles and a few months ago it began to start slowly after a spirited ride. And for a few times it stranded me in the road. So basically after a ride that has her revving a bit more, it won't start if I happen to shut the engine off.

I took it to my local mechanic, he replaced the solenoid, but a month later the problem came back. He checked the sprag clutch, the charging system and the only two faults he found was that: the lambda sensor in the back is malfunctioning and the voltage doesnt spike as much when he revs it. The bike's been in the shop for over a month and I'm missing out riding season, I'm thinking about taking the bike to Ducati, maybe they'll find the issue quicker. I've never taken a bike to the maker because all my bikes have been used.

Here's a video, what do you guys think it might be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2018, 4:24 pm

These bikes have a tendency to rattle the battery terminals loose, I'd make sure those are checked but a shop surely shouldn't miss that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2018, 5:30 pm
Moderator in moderation

Garage
While your checking the battery terminals...try putting in a known good battery. I would bet your battery is toast.
Austen and jaibee61 like this.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2018, 9:32 am

Yep!
Agree with mlukason. I had to replace the battery twice during my ownership of the 796 (~6 years). I thought for sure something else must be wrong so I bought and replaced the starter solenoid (which didn't solve the starting problem... the battery replacement did)

Some folks end up upgrading the heavy gauge starter wiring loom with an even beefier wiring kit... this can help if your battery is weak, but fundamentally if the battery can't push the amps, the voltage drops and ECU reboots like in your video.
J
jaibee61 likes this.

2011 HYM 1100 Evo SP
2010 HYM 796 - SOLD!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2018, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukason View Post
While your checking the battery terminals...try putting in a known good battery. I would bet your battery is toast.
Plus two.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2018, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukason View Post
My guy said he connected the battery to a machine that said the battery is healthy. Can it still be toast?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2018, 9:33 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfall View Post
My guy said he connected the battery to a machine that said the battery is healthy. Can it still be toast?
Yes, these bike take quite a kick to roll over. Much more then your average inline. Put the multi meter on the battery as you start the bike. If it falls under 9v while trying to start, you need a new one.

2010 Hyper 796 w/ dual shorty Arrows, Rapidbike Evo & MWR Intake, 2004 XR250R, 2008 CRF150R-SM, 2005 TTR88SMR
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator in moderation

Garage
The ECU needs a certain voltage to operate, if it goes below it shuts down completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

I picked up the bike today and it seems asymptomatic, but I shouldn't br celebrating so soon. So my local mechanic checked all the wiring, removed the flywheel and had a look at the sprag clutch. There was a block connector that was all fried up so he replaced that. I had a faulty lambda sensor so we got a new one.
L
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2018, 1:57 am Thread Starter

Nevermind, I spoke too soon, it's still fucked. I'll just take it to Ducati to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode